November 2010
« Oct   Dec »
15161718192021

Obama is the guilty one, not Assange

What am I missing? Barack Obama, the leader of the ‘free’ world, murders hundreds of Afghans and Pakistanis with his drone bombs – he has ordered as many bombings in a year as George W did in 8 – and yet the guilty one is Julian Assange for printing secret diplomatic cables which may expose the crime of our ruling elite?

Robert McClelland, our ‘Labor’ Attorney-General, has ordered a review to determine if Assange has committed any crime in Australia. In America some Republicans are demanding Wikileaks be declared a terrorist organisation.

This McCarthyism is but the latest step in the narrowing of democratic options that is US imperialism’s  response to the uncertainties of its world and its dominant place in it.

Wikileaks is the target of those who bring us war, want and repression. It challenges in a small way the untrammelled rule of the war mongers and so Wikileaks must feel the iron heel of their order.

The biggest terrorists and criminals sit in Washington and Canberra. When Obama and Gillard are on trial for their crimes I will begin to believe in justice.

Comments

Comment from Abi
Time November 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm

When was the last time you saw such a leader stand trial? i can’t think of one and i’m guessing it will never happen. More importantly what is Assange’s ambition? I reckon to make money, so why defend somebody that wishes to feed off others to make a profit?

Time December 1, 2010 at 6:05 am

Both true Abi. That doesn’t mean I can’t make the point about the criminal activity of our leaders. And if someone is exposing our liars to make money, I’ll use the exposure every time.

Comment from Seamus
Time December 1, 2010 at 9:29 am

I agree with you John, what I found fascinating is the discussion over the “right” of the public to know such things. There seems to be a real push in editorial opinion to create controversy over whether or not it is in the “interest” of the population to know what is really happening in the world.

As for Assange and his motivations, cui bono should always be the question. Certainly he may stand to make a profit at some point, but I find it very hard to believe that is anything other than a secondary motivation. The potential personal repercussions he faces are severe (as evidenced by the extremely dubious timing of the charges he faces in Sweden), and hardly seem me to be worth whatever money he may make in donations and a book deal somewhere down the track.

Comment from Walter
Time December 1, 2010 at 9:58 am

I know what you’re missing John – there is no such leaks being exposed from terrorist organisations showing how they want to kill millions of westeners in the mistaken claim that a sect of their religion calls for it.

There is no exposure of the Iranian nuclear program which threatens the world, no exposure of the North Korean desire to wipe out the South, no exposure of radical groups in Pakistan and the torture and murder of trade unionists, activists, Christians etc in many middle east countries and the sub-continent.

You blame Gillard and Obama but I never read you blaming the leaders of Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, Yemon, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan etc for promoting or fostering terrorist attacks and for the deaths of millions of their own people.’

The mass murder of Kurds is hardly mentioned. The murder of Christain Coptics in Egypt is never mentioned. The repressions and torture in Iran of democracy activists is rarely mentioned.

My issue with your comment is that it is one sided. The West = war crime killers while the poor oppressed perpetrators of suicide attacks, repression, torture and disctatorships hardly get a mention.

Comment from Seamus
Time December 1, 2010 at 10:22 am

Walter, I think the difference is that you receive all of those messages daily in the mainstream press. Iran, Nth Korea, Pakistan et al. are regularly held to scrutiny and account for their actions. The same is simply not true for Western and allied governments.

While the latest round of wikileaks are not all that revelatory (at least in my opinion) their previous releases were a stark contrast the party line that is frequently towed in the mainstream. This is a good, valuable thing.

Finally, we in Australia should be absolutely more critical of the actions of our own government than that of any over seas government. Our government does not regularly ally itself with nations such as Iran and Nth Korea, it does have, however, a strong track record of supporting murderous U.S. invasions. Such support is deserving of the highest scrutiny.

Comment from Walter
Time December 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Seamus, maybe I read different mainstream media but show me where the internal political operations of Iran and North Korea are on Wikileaks? We don’t even know who runs North Korea!

As for supporting US invasions – perhpas we shouldn’t have supported them in WWII? Glad to see you’d like to live under A Nazi-Japanese world dictatorship!

How about opposing China’s invasion of Tibet? Or Turkish invasion of Kurdistan? Or the oppression of women by certain Muslim sects?

If you and Mr Passant believe you live in a country run by war criminals and murderers then I suggest you leave. That’s what real refugees do. Go to New Zealand, a country free of war ciminal leaders!

Comment from Seamus
Time December 1, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Wikileaks is based on the “leaking” of information. Unless someone from the North Korean or Iranian government leaks something to them of note then there is no leak to report.

The Allied role in WW2 (and I’d point out that Australia was involved prior to the U.S. in this instance) is completely different to that of wars such as Vietnam, or Iraq in 2003. I believe our ongoing presence in countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq is worthy of critical discussion and that wikileaks information provides a huge insight in any such discussion.

What makes you think I am not opposed to the Chinese occupation of Tibet et al? Or unconcerned with the oppression of women? I am concerned with such matters. However, I would reiterate that I believe we should be critical of our own actions, be it in regards to war or the treatment of women in society, as a main priority.

Comment from Arjay
Time December 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Walter,Obama has brought in a Presidential edict called,” Preventative Dentention.” This means that even if you are supected commiting a crime in the future,you can be detained indefinitely without trial or legal representation.

see Naomi Wolf’s 10 easy steps to facism.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment/print

The USA presently has all 10 steps in place and only needs another false flag event like 911 to bring down the final curtain on Western freedoms.Obama has all the power to suspend the constitution and declare martial law.

1/ Evoke a terrifying internal and external threat.Zibigniew Brezezinski prior 911.” What we need is a truely massive and widely perceived direct external threat.”
2/ Create a Gulag.ie Guantanamo Bay.Obama has not shut it down.
3/Develop a thug caste.We now see it in the USA with the FBI breaking into the houses of peace activists and arresting them.
4/Set up a surveillance system.well they are realing our emails at this moment.
5/Harrass citizens’groups.I’ve had personal experience of this myself.I will extrapolate if John permits.
6/Engage inarbitary dentention and release.Happening right now.
7/Target Key Individuals.Ron Paul has his genitals groped for security check,yet John Boehner whom they are wooing passes airport security with no checks.
8/Control the Press
9/Dissent equals treason
10/suspend the rule of law

Hitler has a Dept of Homeland Security.The parallels are uncanny.Mussolini had the black shirts and Hitler the brown shirts.The USA has Black Water.

All these characterists are happening to some degree in the USA.It will only take one more terrorist attack to bring down the final curtain.

Time December 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I would love there to be leaks from North Korea and Iran.

Read my blog for my support of the resistance against the Iranian dictatorship. And as for the comment I have never mentioned the dictatorships in Afghanistan Saudi Arabia, read my blog. The Malalai Joya article I printed a little while ago might help fix you up Water.
Saudi Arabia is a US supported dictatorship Walter. Who is the biggest supporter of Al Qaeda? Rich Saudis. Not too much American pressure there, given the important strategic role Saudi Arabia lays for the US.

the main enemy is at home Walter. On top of that the situation around the world has to be understood int eh context of imperialism – essentially US dominance and the Chinese challenge to that. The countries you mentioned are the victims of imperialism and when their oppressed people’s rise up against their local and foreign oppressors I will be with them. Whose side will you be on Walter?

Comment from juanR
Time December 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I salute Julian Assange and applaud the valiant American citizen/s who is/are passing the information to Wikileaks. I pity our politicians who follow and blindly obey (it seems to me) their American masters and compromise the honesty and integrity of our people (perhaps not yours Walter). Keep up the good work John.

Time December 1, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Hi juan. Thanks. I agree. How are you?

Comment from juanR
Time December 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I am good John. Retirement from work is starting to look like a good proposition, I’ll have more time to read yours, and similar, blogs.

Comment from Mr G. H. Schorel-Hlavka
Time December 2, 2010 at 8:48 am

As a CONSTITUTIONALIST the issue is if the involvement of Australian troops to invade Iraq/Afghanistan was constitutionally permissible and clearly it was not because it required for the governor-General to publish in the Gazette a DECLARATION OF WAR and as such I view John Howard and others who participated in the armed murderous invasion all should be held legally accountable and a ROYAL COMMISSION should be held as I requested the then Prime Minister Kevin Rudd to authorise way back on 7 December 2007 when he was elected. This year alone two judicial officers were involved in trials where I represented parties (not as a lawyer but Attorney/Professional Advocate) that I was facing imprisonment for speaking out. Mind you just exposing the truth when representing a party! We must never permit a denial of the truth as out constitution has embedded “Civil rights” and “Political Liberty” and those in government must learn that if they act wrong they must face public scrutiny, this, as the moment they are beyond public scrutiny they are dictators.

Comment from Walter
Time December 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

If the “main enemy is at home” then I suggest you have two choices. The first is to flee. That’s what my parents did – they fled oppression and the type of regime Arjay claims Obama presides over, and they came here as refugees. If your rights are under threat, then go to a ‘free’ country, like New Zealand. It is independent, not in any war, anti-US nuclear ships and has no enemies.

The second choice is to stay and fight. This means more than just a website and a few blogs – it means real resistance. Perhaps you should form a political party and run for office? You could stop working for the oppressive state and being paid by the same tools of oppression. You could take to the streets and attempt to ignite the populus against the war criminals who run our country. Good luck.

I don’t know if you have lived under a dictatorship and seen what oppression and repression is first hand. It ain’t Julia Gillard and Obama, folks. How fortunate you are to live in Australia (or the USA, a free and vibrant democracy). If you honestly think Clinton and Obama are war criminals and evil, then you have little real world experience and need to travel more – I suggest Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, Burma, Saudi Arabia as good holiday destinations.

Comment from Arjay
Time December 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Walter we have only the veneer of democracy and even that is been stripped away as we speak. You work on comparatives by looking at nations who are presently worse off but we are on the slippery slope of facism.It is happening before your very eyes an you refuse to recognise the reality.

Comment from Walter
Time December 2, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Well Arjay et al, you can always escape “the slippery slope of facism” and live somewhere free of this impending destruction of democracy. No one is forcing you to live under the evil rule of war criminals like Julia!

Leave. Flee. Escape. No one is stopping you. Your passport isn’t confiscated. Go forth young man. Why stay and complain – get out man, before they come to your door and drag you off … or could it be that yours is just a middle class rebellion perpetrated from the comfort of your nice home in a nice suburb where all the freedoms known to man are yours to enjoy? Could it be that you have it so good in Australia that the thought of leaving is just too great a burdon on your belief system.

No offence meant – but I’d label you a hypocrite.

Time December 2, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Walter I am staying to fight the dictatorship of capital and for freedom, and help inspire people round the world, from Afghanistan to North Korea to Iran to the US to the UK and Australia, to overthrow their overlords and begin a new society of justice, peace and democracy. In the words of Zapata It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Comment from DD
Time December 2, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Walter…you keep missing the point! Re-read the comments here and hopefully you’ll understand the argument. It’s pretty basic. Second point – not everyone must take to the streets: Many of the greatest and most potent dissidents have been writers (I thought that would have been obvious as well!). Sheesh!

Comment from Walter
Time December 5, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Thanks DD, but I’ll stick to my point, which is this. People like Arjay (and sometimes Mr Passant) say our government (and the USA too) is involved in war crimes, that they are McCarthyist (see Mr P’s posting) and that terrorists sit in Washington and Canberra.

First, only someone living in an open democratic country could write this – in many countries you would be tortured or dead fior this type of activity. You say all these atrocities are happening and the best you can do is come up with a blog! That’s not revolution, that’s middle class hypocricy.

Second, and sorry Mr Passant, but I believe this: how can you accept money and work for the same state you accuse of such ‘crimes’? You teach at a state owned university I believe. So you accept money from the state. The same money that is used to buy arms to attack Iraq and Afghanistan! The same money used to support the USA. That makes it blood money.

How is that not collaboration? How is that not supporting the apparatus of the government you condemn? I really and honestly do not understand how you and others can accept money from a state that you also say is evil, oppressive and fostering terror and suppression.

I write this not to stir or belittle, but because I do not understand how this does not constitute tacit collaboration or support.

Dissidents in China or South Africa or Burma or Iran etc do not work in government instramentalities upholding the same structures and infrastructures they oppose.

My point DD, is that much of this rhetoric strikes me as coming from ‘safety’ – from people in secure jobs, secure and safe accommodation, free of any fear of your door being kicked down and being dragged off in the middle of the night. I have seen and lived in countries where this happens, and the USA and Australia are not even close. Not by any stretch of the imagination, and it’s a fantasy to think you do not live in the free-est most open society in the world.