December 2010
« Nov   Jan »
20212223242526

Fcuk the Labor Party

What does Labor stand for? Nothing I believe in or want,  even this side of the revolution.

War? Yes, from East Timor to Afghanistan Labor is a party of warmongers.

Imperialism? Yes. Its support for the US Alliance is a logical bourgeois analysis of what is in the best interests of Australian capitalism.

Attacking aborigines? Yes, the Northern Territory intervention shows that.

Attacking refugees? 50 dead on Christmas Island and Labor insiders want to toughen the Government’s response, not humanise it! Enough said.

Ignoring global warming? Yes.

And if they finally do anything about global warming? Making workers pay for the environmental crises of capitalism with enthusiastic Greens’ support.

Shifting wealth from workers to capital? Yes.  According to a recent ACTU Economic Bulletin: ‘The profit share of national income is now near the record highs it reached in 2008, while the wages share of income is the lowest since 1964.’

Supporting anti-worker laws? Yes, Labor’s Fair Work Act is Workchoices lite, and the Australian Building and Construction Commission is Gillard’s industrial Gestapo.

Opposing equal pay for equal work? Yes. Under Julia Gillard the gap between men’s and women’s wages is increasing. It is now edging up to 18 percent, which equates roughly to more than $250,000 less over a woman’s working life.

Opposing equal love? Yes. Julia Gillard proudly announced that marriage is between a man and a woman, pandering to the social conservatives.

Attacking abortion rights? Yes. Anna Bligh’s government in Queensland oversaw the prosecution under the criminal code of Tegan Leech for importing and using RU 486. A jury threw the case out. No thanks to Labor there.

Criminalising free speech? Yes.  US Vice President Joe Biden has now joined Julia Gillard in labelling Julian Assange a criminal. So much f0r any presumption of innocence when an individual’s action exposes the empire of lies.

Pumping money into rich schools, at the expense of poor public and private schools? Yes.

Privatising by stealth health care in Australia? Yes.

Underfunding public transport? Yes.

Taxing us more and the rich less so they can better accumulate the wealth we create? Yes.

The list of pro-boss, anti-worker, racist, homophobic and sexist actions of Labor in power could go on and on.

I used to think Labor was different. It has links to the working class through the trade union bureaucracy.

So? It is anti-worker. It rules in the interests of the rich. It is just another neoliberal party. Labor in power is the class enemy.

The only difference is that it is not the Liberals. That tired refrain is well past its use by date.

I don’t want a softer cuddlier version of the conservatives – and Labor aren’t that anyway. They are a vicious pro-capitalist party ready to kill people in foreign lands and on our islands’ shores and attack workers here.

I want a party that will redistribute wealth to those who create it, improve social welfare payments, welcome refugees, recognise prior ownership and enter into treaty negotiations with aborigines, tax the rich, make the polluters pay, abolish any restrictions on strikes, support equal pay and equal love…

Fcuk Labor. Build a socialist alternative.

Comments

Comment from Calligula
Time December 20, 2010 at 9:04 pm

How, John, how?
Charity begins at home – that’s what me old mum said.
I’m glad she’s out of it all now.

Charity, in her view, once meant something entirely different to handouts.
Charity once meant common accord, mutual benefit, decency and a working society.
Charity once meant an old boy’s network that included the gal’s interests too!

She told me all this and more when she was a parent and the world was a simpler place.
As for myself, I can remember it working sometimes for me too.

As you say – Labor now stands for no ideals whatsoever – just grubs about for ever diminishing votes in an increasingly careless world.
As you suggest – they are becoming fairly fcuked by their own greed and incompetence ‘cos they cannot understand either expedition or pragmatism, or any precept other than greed that exercises man.

And big-ears waits at the wings of the stage ready to grasp the helm of state with his sticky sportif mitts.

All a bit of an Xmas passion play – What!
Dickens’ sob sentiment in reverse.

Come on John Passant. Buck up.
It is always darkest just before dawn.
The Golden age will emerge from the very edge of our despair.

If, that is, you want to gain brave and capable allies.
To gain that sort you must investigate every opportunity that comes your way – like, say, answering your recent private emails rather than this pragmatic stuff only the bravest risk placing in the public domain.

I propose we get our Julian back from the UK in the new year.
We should remorselessly lobby Kev to have him flown out of Heathrow at dawn in one of our stealth bombers and directly home.
If we had brains at all we should request and require Howard be arrested for war crimes simultaneous to the takeoff and proceedings be taken against GW Bush, in absentia, at the same time.

If we want Australian sovereignty in future that is what we must do.
We must either laugh or cry.
We can either laugh or cry about our nationals being indiscriminately arrested for the merest excuse overseas – or we can bring ‘em back to Australia and protect them here.

We can always laugh at them then as they cry here through the sheer frustration of being stuck in such a bloody boring place as present Australia.

Or we can demand that they exercise their expertise to make Oz a better, more equitable and more interesting place for us all.

Comment from Calligula
Time December 20, 2010 at 9:29 pm

John,
I’m more than halfway serious about the last half of mine above.
If we could fly Julian home to Q and get Anna Bligh to employ him – neither heaven, nor hell, nor the CIA could ever touch him again – unless the qld premier wanted him removed on a whim of her own.
If you get my drift, as a queenslander born, I do wonder about that every day of mine and my families house arrest here –

Comment from Magpie
Time December 20, 2010 at 9:38 pm

John,

A couple of excellent pieces that fit very well with the notes I posted some days ago about Spain.

The first one deals with record profit rates in the US:

The second shows one of the main causes of these record profits:

I think this poses a serious conundrum for us who think of ourselves as Marxist socialists: we are in a crisis, but profits are not falling.

The miserable bastards are not growing weaker: they are growing stronger.

Time December 21, 2010 at 6:27 am

“answering your recent private emails”. Calligula, I have just finished marking 120 students and am doing two papers. I did answer, by the way. Did you not get it?
As to gaining brave and capable allies, check out Socialist Alternative (www.sa.org.au)
Regards, John

Comment from Calligula
Time December 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

John,
You did mention having to attend to students somewhere else in the blog.
Apologies if it read like I was snapping my fingers.
Had sent you a second mail – intention was to ask you if you’d want your pages listed as a link on mine – IF after perusing mine you were agreeable.

Have been recently to the sa.org.au pages you recommended and again today.

Problem is, John, that I happen to exist in a part of the world that mainly eschews anything much other than the conservative view.
A bit difficult and definitely unhealthy to man the barricades up in the deep north, especially with a cadre of one.

Now I have to get back to Walt at your article “The Bipartisanship of Death” since he’s telling me I’m in the cold out on my own while he and his team are on my six o’clock.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time December 21, 2010 at 6:25 pm

This fcuk “analysis” is a left-sectarian folly.

One might as well say “fcuk the unions”, “fcuk the ACTU”, “fcuk the churches”, “fcuk the media” and “fcuk the workers” and on and on…

The fact is that the Australian working class has been bribed by being paid by massive imports – largely entirely from oppressed overseas labour but in other cases with large inputs from oppressed labour regimes.

A bribed working class ends up with false consciousness.

It is up to the mature Socialist Left to learn how to work professionally in this situation.

Time December 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Chris. Actually I didn’t criticise the membership but the government, but now you mention it. You stick with the ALP and the ‘mature socialist left’. Would that be Gillard? Or Tanner? Or You? The list goes on .. . I am more interested in those inside and outside the Party disillusioned with the ALP. At least they have some sense.

I look forward to reading your erudite defence of the Rudd and Gillard Labor Governments.

Fcuk the unions, the working class? They are not in Government implementing a neoliberal agenda.

Time December 21, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Calligula

I don’t remember a second email, probably because I am flat out. Looking forward to a break from Friday.

Feel free to link. I can do the same.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time December 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I am not sure why anyone would defend the Gillard or Rudd government unless one was to defend right-wing pro-capitalist unions and the other forces produced by capitalism.

As you know, the ALP is driven by capitalist ruling ideology which is itself caused by the underlying political economy.

You do not attack this capitalist political economy by attacking its symptoms such as the government it necessarily produces.

There are many in the ALP who are disillusioned, but also disillusioned from the false hopes they placed in the NDP (which tried to scoop up the same target audience) and progressive pro-union independents – eg Phil Cleary (Wills).

Both the NDP and Phil Cleary episodes were attempts to build sectarian alternatives based on your tactic of focussing on “those inside and outside the Party disillusioned with the ALP”. This is only possible based on unions not affiliated with the ALP, and some other union organisations which may develop. However should disillusionment get to significant levels, as crisis worsens, the ALP will change its spots. I suppose the same applies to the Greens who surely must come to realise that their concerns are caused by rancid political economy.

So its rather more complicated than you are presenting as a “fcuk the ALP” jingoism. Irrespective of your intentions.

Comment from Arjay
Time December 21, 2010 at 9:04 pm

John ,you need to learn how to spell fruck.It is not fcuk,druck,mcuk,dcuk or else we will all run amok or was it a-fruck?

Comment from juanR
Time December 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Quite honestly this is becoming ridiculous, can’t anyone take it seriously? This is really important, it is Australia’s frucken future for fruck sake.

Comment from Greg
Time December 21, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I agree that the Labor party is pretty ridiculous.

It’s amazing to see how their leftist stance has changed so much since its creation.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time December 22, 2010 at 10:38 am

Greg (whoever)

This is a simplistic, one dimensional view. While most of the Labor Party may appear “pretty ridiculous” this is only a symptom.

They are “pretty ridiculous” because they are supporters of, or advocates of capitalism.

The same applies to some trade unions.

Comment from juanR
Time December 22, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Hi Greg I think you got me wrong. I don’t think the Labor party is “pretty ridiculous”. It may be tragic but never ridiculous. Let us get a bit of socialism into the labor party and it will be less ridiculous.