April 2011
18192021222324

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

Support left-wing Greens against the establishment’s attacks

Extremists, reprehensible, deranged, socialist ideologues, hardline, anti-semitic. These are just some of the lies ‘respectable’ Labor and Opposition politicians, the Murdoch Press and the Zionists are throwing at the left-wing Greens.

Why? Because in New South Wales the Greens’ policy is to support the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel.

Not only that but NSW Greens’ Senator elect Lee Rhiannon, who takes her seat on 1 July, has reaffirmed her support for BDS in recent days, despite the fierce opposition of national Greens’ leader Bob Brown.

Yet in spite of all this vilification Greens’ candidate Jamie Parker has claimed victory in the New South Wales lower house seat of Balmain.

The attacks from the political elite of Labor and the Opposition and the Murdoch press are reaching a crescendo of irrationality, an irrationality driven by fear that the Left (broadly viewed)  might gain some traction on a range of issues, including Palestine.

Imagine having a Senator in the Federal parliament who didn’t actually parrot the ruling class’s lines. Shock horror, someone from the Left to perhaps challenge the plutocracy.

Next these ‘extremists’ might want to tax companies a little more, or even support a real super profits tax, not just a mickey mouse one on a few minerals but one on all super profits.

Heaven forbid, these ‘extremists’ might want to spend more on the poor, on things like a Denticare scheme so that all Australians might have good cheap dental care, and more benefits for pensioners, the unemployed and the disabled. They might want to talk about renewable energy. They will defend refugees.

They may hold Labor to account on equal pay for equal work.

No, scream the establishment. Politics is for us and all of those with our neoliberal mindset. These nasty left wingers might start to challenge our god given neoliberal prescriptions and right to rule. Quick, let’s attack them on.. Hmm… Israel.

These Murdoch ‘freedom fighters’ are the same Rupert apparatchiks who supported the slaughter in Iraq and Afghanistan and whose apologias for Western dictators from Suharto to Mubarak to the Chinese tyrants, who just happen to buy lots of our minerals, and perhaps even the House of Saud, are murderous exercises in speaking lies for power.

And lie they do. In the News Ltd blog the Punch, David Penberthy, former editor of the Daily Telegraph and presently editor-in-chief of news.com.au and thepunch.com.au , claimed that ‘the Greens chose to direct preferences to the One Nation founder ahead of the ALP,’ i.e. to Pauline Hanson. This is untrue. The Greens did not direct preferences to any party or person but urged their supporters to vote one above the line for the Greens. Preferences were a matter of choice for Green voters.

Now Mark Kenny in the Punch has repeated the lie.

As Wikileaks shows it is a strategy we have seen before. When the establishment is under threat, even is a small way, it lies and it lies and it lies. Hence the barrage of calumnies and abuse against left-wing Greens.

The problem for the Greens is that the likes of Bob Brown are siding with the establishment and its attacks on the ‘watermelons’. Yes, The Australian has dragged that nonsense back into the lexicon of their deceit.

For those who don’t know it is supposed to mean green on the outside and red on the inside. There is nothing red about the left wing of the Greens. They have some socially and politically progressive policies with which I agree.

But red? Give me a break. They don’t have a socialist agenda, one of the self-emancipation of the working class.

Are they building and deepening links with the working class and union movement?  Do they have an agenda for encouraging mass social upheaval, of say setting up a Tahrir Sq in Australia for better wages and democracy in the workplace? Are they going to organise mass demonstrations and mobilise workers as workers against Labor’s Workchoices Lite and the Australian Building and Construction Commission? For equal pay? For equal love? Against the Northern Territory intervention? Will there be mass civil disobedience campaigns for refugees, blocking the streets of Sydney and Melbourne?  The answer to these questions is, unfortunately, no.

The establishment attacks on the Greens, from Gillard to Abbott to Murdoch, are not especially about particular policies. They are the intellectual and political equivalent of ethnic cleansing – to obliterate the voices of dissent among the population who dare challenge, even in a small way, the rule of capital and the essential oneness of its view.

They have learned their lessons well from the propagandists of Zionism whose cries of anti-semitism are designed to stop all discussion.

This attack on freedom comes out clearly in the lies about the pro-BDS Greens being anti-semitic. This is clearly a disgusting attempt to shut down debate about the apartheid nature of Israel and its ethnic cleansing program in Palestine.

As Norman Finkelstein put it “Kill Arabs, steal their land – cry anti-Semitism”.

I stand with the left-wing of the Greens in their fight against the establishment – from Gillard to Rudd and on to Abbott and Howard and their paid windbags in the media.

I stand with the Palestinians in their struggle for justice.

I stand for free speech in Australia against the repression of the establishment and its attempts to quash dissenting voices.

The battle against injustice is universal. It is the struggle against our own rulers and the injustices they perpetrate and perpetuate here and overseas. More power to the left of the Greens in their battles for justice, not just for Palestinians but for Australians too.

Comments

Comment from Cal
Time April 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

“The virulent anti-working class joy that some Greens and other environmentalists have shown, inspired by the carbon tax, has shocked me.”

Who wrote this? Why it is the same person who just wrote “I stand with the left-wing of the Greens in their fight against the establishment – from Gillard to Rudd and on to Abbott and Howard and their paid windbags in the media.”

Which is it John? Are you against them or for them … hard to work out where SA stands on the Greens.

Comment from Shane H
Time April 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Indeed John. I agree with you on this piece but as Cal is suggesting you are risking the loss of your support from the “real revolutionaries”. This is exactly the sort of nuanced analysis that the far left needs focused on actual struggles not the Manichean idea that those “who ain’t with us are agin us” that way we open us a space for dialogue about socialist ideas rather than merely ‘scolding scoundrels.’

Comment from Tony
Time April 2, 2011 at 4:12 pm

C’mon Cal: Almost 6 days of silence. Fess up! You expect anyone to take your challenges seriously when you are contradictory and clandestine about your own position? All we read above are the words of a hypocrite in light of your comments of a few days back and your silence reinforces this interpretation:

“You know what I detest about you Australians? You say this stuff while you pretend…”

Now it’s:

“Australians are conservative people. We are not progressive or militant and I doubt we’ll ever be socialist either.”

Please explain. What’s with the two Cals? Who do you serve?

Comment from Calligula
Time April 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

We won’t support the greens while they care more about frogs than they do humans.
The issue changes when it is OUR frogs the wanker next door is trying to poison.
But it is never any use complaining to politicians – even green politicians when the brain-dead neighbour is killing your pet frogs.
They seem to not – give a frog about your frog’s problems or whether their frog poison is killing the frog’s mentor too.
Australians are FITH and cannot work even simple issues out.

Comment from Auntie Rhoberta
Time April 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Well put, John, I agree entirely.

Comment from Gordicans
Time April 3, 2011 at 12:41 am

Nice to see the great Norman Finkelstein get a mention. He’s great! Well known overseas, but he never gets coverage in this country (all our media constantly trots out the pro Israeli line and either ignores or trivialises palestinian suffering). If you want to see some spine tingling stuff, watch this youtube vid:

Time April 3, 2011 at 4:13 am

I stand with the Greens when the establishment attacks them over their left wing views. I criticise them when they adopt right wing views. No contradiction. Perfectly consistent. I don’t speak for SA by the way.

Time April 3, 2011 at 4:14 am

I hope to post an interview, done by someone else, with Finkelstein on the blog soon.

Time April 3, 2011 at 4:18 am

Australians are not FITH. Workers have the capacity to change the world. It is not surprising in a world dominated by capital that they reflect their views. But their actual reality will force them to challenge the rule of capital and with it their own ideas.

Comment from Wendy
Time April 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm

There are a bunch of things I’ve learnt from this website.

I’ve learnt that the Palestinian Authority does not represent the Palestinian people, but Hamas apparently does. I’ve learnt that you folk support an organisation which bans trade unions and executes trade union leaders, that refuses the right of women to vote and hold public office and outlaws the rights of workers to collectively bargain.
I’ve learnt that because the workers of China haven’t risen up – defying arrest, torture and execution – and demanded a boycott, that we shouldn’t boycott this evil regime that executes and arrests more of its own people than any country on earth.
I’ve learnt that the Greens are a nasty bunch of devils for supporting action on climate change and a carbon tax against big businesses that pollute; but they are also to be supported because some have communist leanings.

I’ve learnt that your Australian workers should take to the streets and support a restructuring of your society along the principles of socializm; but it’s also their fault that they are too apathetic and damn lazy to do what’s in their best interests.
Banks are evil, but you folk still use them.
9/11 was – according to some bloggers – orchestrated by the US of A so we could invade Afghanistan and Iraq. Never mind that the USA has never needed justification before; perhaps we orchestrated the bombing of Pearl Harbour so we could invade the Pacific too? I’m still trying to find out who’s responsible for the bombings in Madrid, London, Jordan and Bali.

I’ve learnt that your lady leader Julia Gillard and Barack Obama are war criminals, although it seems the all-powerful Murdoch press is preventing charges being laid against them. Mrs Gillard doesm’t strike me as a vicious war criminal a la Charles Taylor, Gaddafi, Pol Pot, Amin, the SS elite etc. I’m sure she personally overseeing those drones designed to wipe out terrorist cells.

I’ve learned there are about 250 brave comrades out there writing letters to the newspapers, demonstrating in the streets of your xapital, calling for revolution when they’re not at work at civil servants on the public payroll.

Let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Time April 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Then you have learnt nothing Wendy. Stick with the war criminals. Or read intelligently, something I assume you are incapable of. And as for those who write on my blog, I am not responsible for their nonsense. Just as I am not responsible for your nonsense.

Time April 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Adam Horowitz. ‘Goldstone op-ed praises Israeli investigation of Gaza war crimes, but UN committee paints a different picture’. http://mondoweiss.net/2011/04/goldstone-op-ed-praises-israeli-investigation-of-gaza-war-crimes-but-un-committee-paints-a-different-picture.html
‘Over two years since the fighting in Gaza has ended it is clear that neither Israel nor Hamas is going to conduct credible investigations into the charges leveled against them by the UN fact finding mission. The experts’ report summarized:

‘The Committee heard the respective parties’ claims that their systems have established mechanisms to ensure accountability and justice. Yet, after listening to victims, witnesses and human rights organizations, it is clear that the needs of victims are not being adequately addressed.

‘For this reason, it is obvious that it is now time to follow-up on the recommendation of the Goldstone Report and refer the case to the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to conduct a proper legal investigation.’

Comment from Tony
Time April 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Wendy: An interesting choice of words, “I’ve learnt that your lady leader Julia Gillard…”. So the PM’s not your leader either, Wendy?

Another “non Australian” with a special interest?

John, looks like you’ve stirred the hornet’s nest?

Comment from Wendy
Time April 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

My apologies, I didn’t realise this was for Australian citizens exclusively. Let me see … http://www.onenation no, I’m sure that wasn’t it.

Righteo then, only certified ‘Aussie’ can comment? How do I know Tony you’re not some agent of Putin’s or on Hugo’s payroll? You read Jewish newspapers, maybe you’re a double, like Philby or Burgess? Can’t trust anyone these days huh.

Comment from Tony
Time April 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Thanks, Wendy. I think it is a great idea that you continue to comment.

How do you know? You don’t. The joy of asymmetric information, huh?

I’ll finish up with a definitive thought from Cal, “In short, they [Aussies] are white, conservative, with double standards and ill prepared for change.”

Maybe so, what do you think?

Pingback from En Passant » Just who are the real extremists?
Time April 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

[…] joined with the fruitcake faction of the bourgeoisie at News Ltd and suggested that Pauline Hanson might be elected in New South Wales because of the […]

Comment from Calligula
Time April 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm

John,
FITH they are and so they shall remain while the keep being cast in a mould that is past its use by date.
Believe me. I am a peasant. I made a mistake many years ago to give up a decent education for a traineeship.
I became ‘indentured’ in Queensland under a system that only reinforced my total lack of human rights.
Hell, they couldn’t take ‘em away ‘cos we don’t legally have any anyway.
That minor matter is never discussed, is it?
Do you seriously suggest that the ‘human resources’, employees, staff, whatever you’d call them had a bloody clue or give a damn about anything else other than their next feed or f—k?
Do you seriously expect them (now their grandchildren) to wake up one morning and declare – “Stuff it. The veil is torn from my eyes. I now see the golden dawn of a new and equitable age”.?
Give me a break.

They’ll drag themselves out of bed, sniff suspiciously and mutter – “Oi – someone’s stuffed with the lightin’.”
They had no clue then and their progeny are in an infinitely worse state now.
Education standards have lapsed and what is laughingly called ‘the nanny state’ gives ferals so much leverage they scare decent kids shitless.

Tell me the way to transcend that stuff and you’ll have me won over.

Comment from Calligula
Time April 3, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Hey Wendy,
How goes it with Peter Pan?
I like a girl with spirit and by crikey, you’ve latched onto some prime weaknesses in our system.
Cutting to the chase you accuse the local colonials as being somewhat stratified in attitude.
Tell me if I’m wrong.
You suspect some/many as being selective in their attitudes – laying blame for perceived injustice like threads stitched into a rug?
That’s because of the propaganda machine here.

They don’t actuall let a lot of real facts out so’s people have to guess and make it up as we go along.
All a bit stultifying really.

Then of course academics have to stick to what they are told to say.
A bit like ABC comedy. They do get to say four letter words so long as it is ‘artistic’ and in ‘context’.

Ya have to have been born into the right family in ‘Oz’ if you want to be a professional dissenter.
If you ain’t one of the chosen ones the either try to freeze you out by ignoring you or doing their best to make out that you are a dill.
Oh so much advice and so little space.
Good on ya girl. Give ‘em curry, as we used to say back in the regiment.

Comment from Calligula
Time April 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Ever considered. John, that some are so complacent that they need prodding into action?
Once they’re moving they are fine, loyal, everything anyone wants – so long as they are pointed in the right direction.
Passchendaele, that sort of thing.

Comment from Magpie
Time April 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm

@Tony

Have a look below. Coincidence?

Write a comment