August 2011
« Jul   Sep »

Me interviewed by Sharon Firebrace on Razor Sharp on Tuesday 18 February. (0)

Me interviewed by Sharon Firebrace on Razor Sharp this morning. The Royal Commission, car industry and age of entitlement get a lot of the coverage. (0)

Me on 4 February 2014 on Razor Sharp with Sharon Firebrace. (0)

Me interviewed by Sharon Firebrace this morning for Razor Sharp. It happens every Tuesday. (0)

Victorian unions support BDS against apartheid Israel

The Victorian Trades Hall Council (VTHC), the peak trade union body in Victoria, has passed the motion  below supporting the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) Campaign in support of Palestinian rights and opposing the police attacks on BDS protests at Max Brenner in Melbourne.

The next demonstration at Max Brenner is 5.30pm Friday 9 September, at the State Library, cnr Swanston & La Trobe Sts, Melbourne.

Palestine, the BDS, the ACCC and Police Behavior at Rallies

That VTHC Executive Council reaffirms its long standing policies relating to the Palestine/Israel conflict namely:

Its support for the BDS Campaign and Palestinian statehood.

Its support for the BDS campaign is aimed at urgent and sincere talks and not the tactics of the past, where while the talks were actually occurring, more settlements were being planned for construction upon Palestinian territory.

Council notes that in recent weeks the Israeli Knesset passed the anti-boycott bill making it illegal for Israelis to call for boycotts in response to the ongoing illegal occupation of Palestinian land, mandated to them by the UN. We note the recent spate of rallies, public meetings and debate organised by Israeli citizens in response to a number of issues including the Knesset’s new law, demanding that it be rescinded.

Council notes the potential involvement of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) in industrial and political disputes. This would be an aggressive smokescreen aimed at stifling legitimate industrial and political activity by unions and other organisations behind a facade of protecting business interests. Executive Council notes the most recent officials to be threatened with ACCC intervention Kevin Bracken of the MUA and Tim Gooden of Geelong Trades Hall Council, in relation to speeches at a BDS rally. Hence Council directs the Secretary to raise our concerns urgently with the ACTU, and to seek a joint approach to the Federal Government to demand the guarantee that the Trades Practices Act will not be used to interfere in the political discourse.

Council notes with concern an increase, in some police regions and around certain political issues, in harsh and violent responses by sections of Victoria Police, in dealing with what are legitimate industrial and political protests over recent months. Council believes the arrest and prosecution of workers demonstrating at Visy Dandenong, and the arrest and prosecution of protesters at a recent BDS Rally in the CBD, indicate a disproportionate escalation of aggressive action by Victoria Police. Council believes that the be completely inconsistent with the principles of Free Speech and the right to peaceful protest.

Therefore Council directs the Secretary to formally lodge a protest with the State Minister for Police, seek a meeting with Police Industrial to discuss any shortfall in police training around behavior at rallies, and to have informal discussions with the Police Association on whether a new, harsh policy on industrial and political demonstrations has been introduced since the last State elections in Victoria.

MOVED: Len Cooper

SECONDED: Kevin Bracken

Comment from Ross
Time August 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Kevin Bracken is one of the few Unionists who has balls and integrity in this country.He set the cat amongst the pigeons when he took John Fein on about the lies of 911.

Julia Gillard in Parliament was forced to reject Kevin’s assertions but a Herald Sun Survey of 10,000 people showed that 78% of people agreed with Kevin Bracken that 911 needed a new honest investigation.

Notice how the media and the pollies then went stone cold silent on this issue that Kevin raised ,after they failed to deride him.

Comment from Leonore Thompson
Time August 31, 2011 at 7:43 am

Your letter in today’s Canberra Times shows just what a silly man you are. 3000 Syrian civilains gunned down, 250,000 Kurds poisoned, 50,000 Libyans killed – all by Muslim leaders … and you think the ills of Zionism stem from a chocolate factory?

Yet again the socialist left shows itself alligned with terror and suppression to gets its way.

No, Zionism isn’t fascist, but proponents of Muslim oppression are.

Comment from Wendy
Time August 31, 2011 at 8:07 am

Holy Cow – you’re gonna boycott a kit-kat seller! The radical ways of a tenured professor hey.

Heavens to Betsy – let me bey you a thousand grand (to go to charity) that you’re wearing clothing made in Chinese prisons by real dissidents and freedom fighters? Fess up, it’s true, isn’t it? You’ve got slacks and shirts made by Chinese slaves but you’re gonna stand outside a Mars Bard vendor and save the world?

Riddle me this Batman – are you going to boycott Uncle Sam imperialist UT and media too? Switch off Fox (or Foxtel there isn’t it?). Boycott Murdoch papers? No laptop, Mac, PC, iphone for you brave warrior.

And Ross – Elvis flew the planes, everyone knows that.

Comment from Terrance
Time August 31, 2011 at 8:56 am

Sorry John, but I think if you’re going to protest you should organise a rally outside the Syrian embassy in Canberra for their killing of 2500 Muslim protestors; or rally outside the Tunisian consulate in Canberra for harbouring the family of that war criminal gaddafit. BBC reports up to 60,000 detainees may have been executed.

I realise you shouldn’t ‘compare’ regimes and crimes – but my reading is that in the big picture, what’s going on in Syria and Lybia is far far worse than the skirmishes over the borders between two rival religious movements.

Let me know when you’re outside the Syrian gates and I’ll join you. meantime, I’ll eat whatever chocolates I like!

Comment from Ross
Time August 31, 2011 at 9:47 am

Terrance you cannot believe all that the BBC publishes.Gadaffi is no angel but he does have a lot of support within his country.

Do you think that NATO are going to put in another leader that is truley democratic when all they wanted was the oil and his 166 tonnes of gold?

Comment from Terrance
Time August 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

Ross – where is his support? His top army people and diplomats defected, his family ran away and the streets are filled with the masses hell-bent on killing him.

I cannot believe you call a dictator who has possibly killed tens of thousands of his own people “no angel”.

And NATO have nothing to do with the next Libyan leader. The rebels are armed and in control.

You really sell the people short Ross – they managed to overthrow a barbarian dictator and they will manage to work out their own independence and governance. It’s very ‘colonial’ of you to assume the Libyan people cannot control their own destiny.

Time August 31, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’m not the one marching with fascists in Brisbane and Sydney, Leonore. Zionism is. And we highlight Max Brenner because of its close links to the Zionist genocide. I hope and pray the Arab Spring wipes away all the dictatorships in the region, (many of them supported by the West), including that of Zionism over the Palestinians. Unlike Zionism I didn’t and don’t support any of the Arab dictatorships. And yes we have been demonstrating in favour of the Arab revolutions, Terrance.

Time August 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm

We did rally for the Tunisians. And at the Egyptian Embassy. And the Libyan Embassy. Where were you Terrance? The left has been involved in demonstrations against the Syrian dictatorship.

Comment from Wendy
Time August 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm

LOL. I guess you don’t consider the Muslims who deny women the vote and the right to an education as fascist? Nuthing to do with the West – they’ve been repressing women since Mohammad came down on a horse 1500 years ago.

I crack up when the leafy tenured Left defends people who repress women, crush a free press and kill dissidents – and then say it’s all the Yanks fault!

Did you know who invented the slave trade- I’m talking about long before colonialism and white invasion? The Arabs, that’s who. Arabs kidnapped black men and killed the women and children to make slaves for their fiefdoms.

Fascism? Try the Saudis. Or Hezbollah. Or Hamas, or Al Asqa Brigade.

But boycotting a biscuit maker must sure as swiss cheese make you feel empowered without affecting your tenure.

Time August 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yes Wendy, we demonstrate against a chocolatier just like we demonstrated against a Rugby Team from South Africa in 1971. You might call it meaningless but it gave heart to those struggling against apartheid and by doing that helped hasten the fall of the regime. And by spreading the message of the reality of apartheid it bought more and more people across the globe into the struggle for justice. Same with boycotting a company which gives supplies and support to sections of the Israeli army involved in killing innocent Palestinians. And I will boycott US imperialism when the US working class calls for it. I look forward to that day when workers in the US rise up against their dictatorship of capital. In the meantime we will organise demos against your killer in chief, whenever he turns up.

Comment from Wendy
Time August 31, 2011 at 1:20 pm

“And I will boycott US imperialism when the US working class calls for it.”

So no proactivism? You’ll watch FOX and read Murdoch papers and use Google and Israeli invented cell phones until some folk in Ohio or Nevada tell you to stop?

Seriously, I put it to you that that is a cop-out. You’ll only boycott when what – 100 million American workers tell you to. Isn’t that a bit fascist, marching to someone else’s politcal agenda.

Why not LEAD? Why not start your own canberra-led boycott of everything American? Why do the socialist always follow (and follow leaders who betray them, like Lenin, Stalin, Castro, Pol Pot, Chavez, Mao etc)?

Comment from Wendy
Time August 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm

PS You do make me crack up though John. I just noted the banner ad on your website for American Express – a donor and supporter of Israel (and their Board members contribute privately to Israel too).

“One man coverts what another man spills” is an old saying…

Comment from Terrance
Time August 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm

John, I reckon I agree with you on many things you say, but I just can’t figure how protesting outside some bloke’s sweet shop is fair dinkum protest. You know, I’ve been on plenty of demos – anti logging, education, refugees, Howard and more – and we did these outside Parliament or electorate offices or even embassies; but not a small business.

And why this Brenner bloke, I’d say El Al or the Embassy, but a chocolate shop, that’s hardly a fair fight in my book.

Just to play the Devil’s Advocate, let’s say I’ve got an issue with the way the government funds (or doesn’t fund) education; should I rally outside your lecture theatre or tutorial room. No, I’d protest outside minister for eductaion’s office.

Sorry mate, you guys have lost me on this. Let me know when you’re going up against a legitimate target. Terrance.

Comment from Ross
Time August 31, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Isarel through AIPAC has enormous power over the US Congress.Last year 300 of the 435 Congressmen signed a letter of allegiance to Israel promising not to criticise Israel no matter how they behaved.The USA gives $ billions in aid to Israel.Israel according to Ron Paul has 300 nukes and the means to deliver them.Why does Israel need USA help?

Ray McGovern EX CIA operative says that Israel and the CIA have forces in Libya stirring up trouble for Gadaffi.Gadaffi has given 2 million automatic weapons to his civilians.Why would you arm those whom you are trying to oppress?

This is all about Western Israeli imperialism.Gadaffi and Libyia have oil and gold which the neo cons lust after.That is the reality.

Comment from Wendy
Time August 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

My god man, are you for real Ross?

Hey fella- Gaddafi’s gone. He’s run off. Chicken shit yellow belly. His people got rid of him. Not Israel, not the US, not NATO, his own people. And you know why – cause he was an evil dictator. He killed tens of thousands of his own.

Gold, shmold – you are on the wrong medication. And I guess you’re single, right? Up all night, on your own, reading whacky websites?

Time September 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Because Brenner supports particularly vicious Israeli killers. Read Why Palestine protests target max brenner. They aren’t innocent chocolatiers.

Comment from Wendy
Time September 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm

“Vicious Israeli killers” my gorgeously rounded ass (and it is, let me tell you!).

I bet you were a Vietnam War chicken? You let other men die for your freedoms and way of life. Sit behind a desk while Ozzie men are killed in Afghanistan fighting so bin Laden’s followers don’t do a Bali in Canberra, I’ll bet. You’re a right coward who boycotts a Kit Kat seller while real Israeli’s fight against child killers, mass murderers, barbarians and men who suppress all womens’ rights.

Feel tough standing outside some shitty little shop while your young men protect your right to protest. I heard an Oz term for men like you – gutless wonder. That’s right, ain’t it, a gutless wonder.

I bet there are thousands of brave Diggers rolling around in their graves at the thought of yellow-ass chickens like you.