October 2012
« Sep   Nov »
15161718192021

Lex Wotton

Me quoted in Fairfax papers on tax haven use
Me quoted by Georgia Wilkins in The Age (and other Fairfax publications) today. John Passant, from the school of political science and international relations, at the Australian National University, said the trend noted by Computershare was further evidence multinationals did not take global regulators seriously. ”US companies are doing this on the hard-nosed basis that any [regulatory] changes that will be made won’t have an impact on their ability to avoid tax,” he said. ”They think it is going to take a long time for the G20 to take action, or that they are just all talk.” (1)

Real debate?

System change, not climate change

Left wins Curtin student elections

The Curtin Student Guild elections concluded last week with a hard-fought victory for the left writes Jess McLeod in Socialist Alternative.

Student elections at Curtin have not been so contested in years. This was also the first time since 1996 that left wing students, unaligned to the Labor Party, have run a full ticket. This year saw a match between the left and right. Left Action, an alliance of left wing students, went head-to-head with Unity, a right wing ticket dominated and organised by Liberal party students.

Left Action won President, Education Vice President, Women’s officer, Queer officer and 4 councillors, knocking the Liberals out of key positions. Running on a principled and openly left wing basis, Left Action’s platform was for a Guild that would stand up for students’ rights and support social justice campaigns. There was clearly an audience for this at Curtin.

Our opponents’ motto, “Real students, real issues, real results”, was an attack on the Left, saying that politics should stay out of the guild.

Of course Unity wanted to seem apolitical – because they were attempting to get Liberal Party members elected into key positions in the Guild.

Their “apolitical” election campaign was also part of a right wing attack on the work of Left Action officer bearers this year. In particular they were hostile to the successful marriage equality campaign work carried out by this year’s Queer officer, Sam Cavallaro, and I.

Not only has the work given a boost to the campaign, it has also shown the positive role that student organisations can play when they engage with issues that matter to students.

The Guild is set up with equity departments, such as women’s, queer and international, to acknowledge the discrimination that is faced by sections of the student population. The right’s denial of this was an implicit attack on an important area of the Guild.

It also meant that Unity gave a green light to some of their extremely right wing supporters. Left Action’s material was defaced and homophobic abuse yelled at campaigners. Unity supporters even attempted to whip up anti-communist hysteria with a poster campaign resurrecting the Nazi slogan “Better Dead Than Red!”

The right wing nature of Unity’s “apolitical” campaign was most exposed by the issue of the impending course and budget cuts at Curtin. Although they claimed to be about “real students, real issues” they had nothing to say about the cuts!

Curtin’s administration has recently announced a major restructuring of the funding model. Twenty percent will be taken from the academic salaries budget of every school and put into a research pool. Schools will then have to compete with each other, based on research output, to retrieve the funds.

As Curtin strives to become a research intensive university it will mean even less for the under-resourced teaching sector and a more market driven education system.

Students who ran with Left Action recognised that the Guild is not about offering a student perspective to the university management. The Guild needs to be oriented to defending students’ rights and giving students an avenue to be involved. This message clearly appealed to a significant layer of students.

The recent elections are a victory for the left and have laid the basis for a serious campaign against the cuts at Curtin University in 2013.

Comments

Comment from Ryan
Time October 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm

You disgust me with you drivel. At least get the basics right before you write defamatory crap about people

Comment from No No
Time October 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Time October 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Not sure what you mean Ryan. This is an article by Jess McLeod, one of the Left Action people elected. I assume she knows what she is talking about. My oh my, the right doesn’t like it when their god given right to rule is challenged and people actually organise a fight back against neoliberalism. Ah, do you mean the stuff about the Nazi slogan? You mean it wasn’t a Nazi slogan? Funny that. Because it was a Nazi slogan. I tell you what. You stick to having $100 a head dinners like your soul mates in Sydney. Alan Jones might be free for one soon enough.

Comment from Dean
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

You’ve got to be shitting me.

Unity had nothing to do with any CCS material and they did not support Unity, they supported anyone who was running against Left Action.

Nazi slogans? Please, it was based off the Cold War slogan by the Americans.

Hostile towards your anti-homophobia campaign? Hell no, in fact prove to me where they showed any actual hostility towards your campaign.

Unity were an apolitical group with apolitical intentions. Regardless of the alignment of it’s members, it’s campaign was truly based on real Guild issues.

The cherry on the cake though, your material was defaced? Your material was defacing! From the bazillion trees wasted with littering the campus with your posters and flyers, to actually resorting to graffiti. So much for a positive University environment, that is the worst I have ever seen the place.

Comment from Ryan’s Right.
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Just a quick point – it wasn’t unity supporters writing that and defacing posters. It was the students who were sick of having pamphlets shoved into our hands, rude question asking who we voted for (ummm LA – thats not actually allowed as per uni rules) and having posters and chalk defacing the campus.

But really looking forward to the peace in Palestine that LA promised…

Time October 2, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Better dead than red was a Nazi slogan. Unity was cover for Liberals. Writing Fagtion shows a complete contempt for homosexuals. The world has changed. There is a group at Universities who want to oppose the neoliberalism of the University managers and governments and their course cutting. Get used to it. Your cosy party with the VC is over.

Time October 2, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Gee, you surveyed the students did you? Or do you just speak as of right on their behalf, assuming to know what they think, especially in light of the fact that a large number seem to have supported Left Action. BTW the fight is for justice for Palestine. LA didn’t promise peace in Palestine but I guess right wingers who have had their apple cart upset by left upstarts can’t accept the new reality. This is about building a fighting Guild to resist course cuts and other things that immediately and adversely impact on students. All the things Unity wasn’t going to do because it is the VC’s lackey. Love the reaction. The born to rules are getting upset. Good.

Comment from Dean
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:09 pm

John, it was meant with the US context, and the students who saw the posters understood that before LA felt the need to censor us.

Unity was not a cover from the Liberals, it had Liberal affiliates but it was a party with no political agenda. Simple as that, it was in fact real issues that faced students.

Fagtion was not by Unity, CCS or anyone affiliated with any of those parties. It was someone sick of the vandalism of the University campus.

Comment from Dean
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Surveyed? We are the students, John. Capitalist Society? It’s not some legitimate thing, it was simply created as an opposition to Left Action. We are a large group of students with more than just some numbers on a Facebook page, who simply oppose LA. Sure, I am a capitalist but I find it offensive you would imply we are the conservatives when the majority of us are actually left in terms of social-conscience. This just proves how out of touch you are with your arguments, when you take us as a serious group of money-mongering capitalist 1%ers when in the end, we are simply an opposition to harassment and vandalism.

Comment from Ryan’s Right.
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I’m not a right wing supporter. Or a unity supporter. So please don’t assume I am either if you don’t know me, or my beliefs.

I was one of the students who was annoyed about the way that LA (and to a lesser extent unity) behaved in the election. Other students who I spoke too were annoyed. Some of those students tore down posters, some of those students wrote things on the posters. I personally didn’t. I never said I spoke for the whole student body and I assume those who support unity wouldn’t have been frustrated by their behaviour during the elections.

There was no need to be rude John. And frankly, I finish in a week so I don’t really care who’s in power next year.

I just would like them to behave as a better representative of the left, and more professionally, during elections in the future.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 2, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Dearest Mr Passant,

Pazzo, can I call you Pazzo? Paz? ohk, Paz. So I saw your many blogs about Curtin University and our guild elections. I’m glad to see you take such an interest in our university and we appreciate all the support we can get. I think the best way to support the students of Curtin (for whom you seem to hold a great deal of interest in, judging by the recent frequency of related posts in your blog), is to post corrections for all of the one sided material you have posted.

You see theres a lot of stuff about Left Action being victimised. This is all one sided hogwash. Last year after being fed up with the constant over-campaigning by left action (a frustration felt by many, many students, if you want screenshots from the universities Facebook group backing up that this isn’t a small group I can provide so, see unlike you when I say something it’s founded in fact) I put up a poster headlined “Left Action; Because Your Right Hand’s Tired”, the tired right hand refers to people preferring to masturbate with their dominant hand (usually being their right hand), and the Left Action representatives being entirely massive wankers.

About a year later a photo of my poster was sitting buried on said Universities Facebook page. Someone “Liked” it (I don’t know fi you know what this is, since you’re old, but I’ll jsut keep going). This caused about 200 other people to like it over the next day or so. What started after taht was a trend of other people putting up their own anti Left Action posters. The reason this poster adn the behaviour of putting up posters resonated was because there was a general frustration about the amount of Left Action flyer distribution and over postering.

When I confronted LA last year about taking down my poster they said it was because it unfairly targeted them, and the other group “Unity” was also engaging in similar campaigning behaviours. So this year I went out of my way to make a poster that was applicable to the over-postering by both parties, now while I heard from people that Unity found the posters, which featured simply a large picture of a kitten with a small caption stating “A PICTURE OF A KITTEN: to balance out all of those ugly guild posters”. Left Action tore these as well as posters made by at least two other completely separate groups.

In your articles you state that Unity is a right wing group. I don’t know if this is the case. Your only support for saying this is that their right wing nature was “exposed by the issue of impending course and budget cuts at Curtin”. “Course cutting” is an exaggerated term. Unity, while it could be run by people who are right wing aren’t like Left Action, which prides itself on being closely tied to a political group (Socialist Alternative, which, surprise, you seem you be pretty tight with yourself).

You also talk about the poster “Better Red Than Dead”. Now while as a communications student I agree thats an over the top bit of satire I can tell you that the students who did this don’t understand that in the pompous self-important minds of the Socialist Alternative and their Left Action subsidiary that this might be considered a legitimate threat.

Your blog never took time to consider this, it is heavily one sided and you seem to have done no research. The reason Left Action won the election is because all the people they frustrated didn’t care enough to vote against them, they just wanted them to stop pestering them, if you had been on campus this semester you’d have seen how much worse they were than Unity in this sense. The students that were forming this coalition of anti-left in your mind largely would sit on the left of the political spectrum and while they would agree with the view of Left Action in a lot of cases are alienated by their tying all of their political aspirations to an election that should be based on university issues. “peace in pakistan” and “pro-gay marriage” are not these, and while they’re great values to have they do not belong on campaign posters for a guild election, and identical guild election posters certainly shouldn’t be lined up 12 in a row all over the uni.

Nobody hates left wing politics at Curtin. Left Action are just a group of assholes, they won less than a majority of seats and hounded people who wouldn’t vote into voting by scaring them with exaggerated truths and fabrications about course cuts. It was dishonest and they tore down any press that disagreed with them. Stalin would be proud.

Best of luck in your closed-minded endeavours, I’m sure it’s hard decreeing free speech as a saviour for the world, while supporting a group that has no respect for the opinions of others. You truly are a hypocrite of gigantic proportions.

Emil.

Comment from Kayla
Time October 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

As a student with no previous guild party affiliations or biases, it’s safe to say the way this years guild elections have been handled has been beyond pathetic. Throughout the course of my undergrad and postgrad I’ve never felt ashamed of Curtin as i do now. Yes both parties have received slander from one another, a difficult thing to handle, even more so when it’s a personal attack, but those people need to learn how to handle themselves. Attacking each other over forums on social media sites doesn’t help your case, act like the adults you are supposed to be. What infuriates me more is the assumption that not supporting LA makes you a “$100 a head diner” – again, you cannot criticise stereotypes by creating another. Both LA and Unity have justified points within their campaigns, yet this year the election lost focus of those issues, instead attacking what the other party isn’t doing. Conversations with those students promoting each campaign quickly degraded to childish accusations resembling those from childhood of “LOOK MUM, he’s not doing it properly!” It’s safe to say that the immature attitudes of all involved has resulted in many students deliberately avoiding to vote. I will say I agree with Ryan regarding the chalk messages all over the university, yes they made their point, now clean them up! Both parties need to reflect on their behaviours of late. Speaking to students around the university the common feeling is if there was an option for guild elections who conducted themselves with greater maturity, they would be the ones currently elected.

Time October 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Just to let whichever idiot impersonated me and subscribed me by falsely representing they were me to the Liberal Party newsletter and giving them my email address, I will be referring the matter to the police for investigation.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm

John, you’ve forgotten to reply to my message and have instead spent your time bothering police officers who have one million better things to do than find out who subscribed you to a newsletter you can block with one click of a button, you child.

Comment from Jenny LeComte
Time October 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Well done, Jess and JP.

Comment from hotelsdown
Time October 2, 2012 at 11:44 pm

i for one am pretty happy that the bunch of born-to-rule young liberals that crawl out of the woodwork every time there is an election for student representative positions were kept as far as possible from success in the curtin university council elections.

from experience, i can say that young libs will stop at nothing to make sure they win. they’ll slander, mud-fling and cheat as much as they can.

i’m a supporter of left action at uwa, but the way the libs have behaved towards the ‘STAR’ party at uwa this year is of particular note, if one wasn’t convinced already of the pathetic nature of young libs: young liberals started up a party called ‘student labor’ and fielded an exchange student with the same name as the labor-party-member presidential candidate for STAR.

they were prevented from having the name ‘student labor’ for their party, and from having such a candidate run for them for president, but they changed their name back to ‘progressive voice’. they ran with this name /last/ year, tricking more people into wasting their votes on young libs.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 2, 2012 at 11:45 pm

also, why are there two banner ads on this website? are you profiteering from free speech with advertising, the epitome of the scourge that is the capitalist agenda

Comment from Kayla
Time October 3, 2012 at 12:11 am

Emil, your posters are amazing. Keep up the kittens

Comment from K
Time October 3, 2012 at 1:29 am

Mate I think you need to take the stick out of your ass and read Emil’s comment. Preferably in that order. Thanks for giving me a good laugh though you pompous git

Comment from other jon
Time October 3, 2012 at 1:30 am

ALL YOU RIGHT WINGERS DUN GOOF’D, JOHNS CALLED THE CYBER POLICE AND THEY ARE BACK TRACING YOU RIGHT NOW.
YOU PUNKS DUN GOOF’D I TELL YOU!!!!

Time October 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

That is right. I object to having my name and email address supplied by people I don’t know pretending to be me to an organisation I despise. Something about impersonation comes to mind. Or do you agree that it is in fact OK to impersonate people and pretend you are someone else and lie about who you are? Ah but of course you don’t have the courage to identify yourself in your post do you? Another gutless wonder hiding behind anonymity. I guess this impersonation of me is just another ‘joke’ like the Nazi slogan Better dead than red, or the homophobic Fagtion? I think it is about time the juvenile politics of the reactionaries at Curtin ended.

Time October 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

My pleasure anonymous.

Time October 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yes. Thanks for the money.

Time October 3, 2012 at 10:53 am

That is right. I object to having my name and email address supplied by people I don’t know pretending to be me to an organisation I despise. Something about impersonation comes to mind. Or do you agree that it is in fact OK to impersonate people and pretend you are someone else and lie about who you are? Ah but of course you don’t have the courage to identify yourself in your post do you? Another gutless wonder hiding behind anonymity. I guess this impersonation of me is just another ‘joke’ like the Nazi slogan Better dead than red, or the homophobic Fagtion? I haven’t forgotten to reply to your letter. It has nothing of substance in it.

Comment from Luke
Time October 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Emil, you are wasting your time. If Passant were to legitimately take your comments on board he would realise that he is just another sheep his organisation manipulates for their own political motivations.

Like a person that has been scammed out of money, he keeps going in the hopes that it will ultimately pay out, because he has invested too much to back out.

Time October 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Baaa. Lend me a few more bucks for the pokies will ya….

Time October 3, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thanks Emil. Mind if I call you … Oh, how very funny eh Emil?

I can see the quality of your intellect is captured in your wanker poster. So witty. And the best part is you are such a dud comedian you think you have to explain your ‘joke’. Sorry Emil, but the only joke here is you.

Here are some facts to rebut your ‘impressions’ and Facebook ‘democracy’.

To make the point obvious let me just repeat it. ‘Left Action won President, Education Vice President, Women’s officer, Queer officer and 4 councillors, knocking the Liberals out of key positions.’

I see you assert LA scared people into voting for them. Wow, are the Curtin students sheep? Or are they marched in at gun point? Take that to the highest authorities in the land Emil. It is clearly a breach of election rules. But of course it is unjustified nonsense. Mere assertion that will not be backed up with any proof on your part. And they tore down press they disagreed with? Again assertions without facts. The only evidence I have seen is Better dead than red posters over Left Action posters. Looks to me like your comments are a tired tirade from a tiny intellect.

You know why I am interested in Curtin, Emil? Because I am genuinely shocked that University students can resurrect Nazi death slogans, write homophobic changes on material, and now, if you read the other comments, apart from the juvenile unthinking abuse unworthy of primary school students let alone University students, make death threats. The latter may or may not be a student. We shall see.

Comment from Che?
Time October 3, 2012 at 8:13 pm

“Nazi death slogans” “marched at gun point” “the only joke hear is you” congratulations on not understanding a opposing view to the issue. Please pass go and collect some rifles for your revolution

Comment from Ben Dover
Time October 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Dear John, please firmly remove your head from your anus and stop stealing my oxygen.

Comment from Counstable Jimmy
Time October 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hello Emil, my Name is Constable Jimmy Russel from the cyber security defense initiative. It has been brought to my attention that you and the rest of the “Curtin Nazi Party” are threatening students with their lives, this is unacceptable. We here at the Cyber Police take death threats very seriously and are currently back tracing all your emails and IP address’ to find the culprits of this monstrous crime, thank you Jon and Jess for all your continued help in the matter and we are contacting Curtin in regards to the cyber crime as I write this message.

If anyone has any leads regarding the death threats towards some students please call the cyber police immediately.

Many thanks

Jimmy Russel

Comment from Ben Dover
Time October 3, 2012 at 9:20 pm

It would appear that the jimmys have been rustled…

Comment from Mike Hunt
Time October 3, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Stop acting like LA are freedom fighters. What kind of freedom fighters harrass people coming out of booths yelling “WHO DID YOU VOTE FOR?!”.

Comment from Card Sense Jimmy Bond
Time October 4, 2012 at 12:06 am

As one of a number of James Bond impersonators – my exploits in the role are detailed in the 1954 CBS television movie spectacular, “Casino Royale” – I can say that impersonation is not to be sniffed at. It takes time, training and an unthinkable amount of skill. Far from being outraged, you should be flattered, John, that someone has considered yourself worthy of the time and effort of an exercise in impersonation.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 4, 2012 at 2:57 am

Paz,

I am not asserting that the students of Curtin are sheep, I’m saying they’re busy, I’m saying that LA shoved information in front of them which they (given that it’s the end of semester) didn’t have time to validate. Very few read the response from Vice Chancellor which explained that their claims were in fact completely exaggerated and incorrect. Only 2500 of Curtins student body voted (approximately 6% of the university), many of them last minute due to LA spokespeople flooding the campus, I ran into the same LA representative four times on complete opposite ends of the university, they were asking everyone if they had voted and who for (which is by the way against the election guidelines).

As for the “Curtin Nazi Party”, I assume you’re referring to the “Curtin Capitalist Society”. It should be noted first that the Nazis were based in socialism, the opposite of capitalism. Secondly you’ve derived their “Nazi”ness from their poor use of “Better Red Than Dead”, this was part of a large SATIRICAL campaign they ran, including signs that said “I’m with Stupid” and photos of Gina Reinhart, anybody who saw these and took them seriously shouldn’t be on university grounds as they would have to have to be on par with a rotten tomato in terms of being able to read subtext.

You know what the real problem is. Every one of the people who I’ve met that was a part of the more radical satire were heavily left set in their views, none were opposed to Left Actions beliefs so much as they were to their rude, intrusive methods.

So when you choose to parade powerful rhetoric, like exagerating my statements, saying that I implied people were forced to vote at gunpoint you only further my point. Its that exact kind of overblown rhetoric that is the problem. So when someone parodies how over the top Left Action are, such as in the case of the Curtin Capitalist Society, it’s taken so seriously. But the thing is nobody at Curtin hates Left Action or their beliefs.

There have been no “cyber crimes” committed. There is no “Curtin Nazi Party” there is just a bunch of children playing make believe.

Jesus, Nazis, what is wrong with you. Do you know how many people the Nazis killed? and every time something doesn’t match your agenda it is immediately likened to Nazis. It’s immature, have some respect, you’re a fully grown man.

Curtin Nazi Party. “born-to-leads”. Fuck me.

As for you Jimmy (I can’t find any reference to the “Cyber Security Defence Intiative, in Australia, whats the proper name?), my email is – [details removed to protect the innocent JP] I’ve done nothing wrong. I’m not a part of the Curtin Capitalist Society, I only put up one (intentionally non-partisan) poster this year, but frankly I don’t think those guys did that much wrong either, aside from not being original enough to come up with their own phrase, or thinking about the consequences of using “Better Dead Than Red”. I look forward to you emailing me.

Note that everything I say is fact, I haven’t used explosive words like you to make my comments more intense. I think I’m being pretty fair considering I’m actually at the university first hand and you’re hearing a side of the story that is about as factual as Dan Brown novel.

PS. I explained my wanker joke, not because I thought it was hard to get, or that it was poorly written, I explained it intentionally to be patronising, by implying you wouldn’t have understood it, I think it worked. My two posters, both that and the kitten one received a great reception.

Emil

Comment from Steven Lebinski
Time October 4, 2012 at 3:03 am

this is probably the gayest thing i’ve ever read (u mad i said gay????). do you actually enjoy life you uptight fuckwit, getting so worked up over anything that might be offensive. oh nooo someone said fag. they must legitimately hate gay people and bash them because they hate them and said fag. learn to take a joke, and take life a little less seriously and your shitty blog might have more than just hate responses (inb4 this is interpreted as a death threat). thank you

Time October 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

I make no reference to the Curtin Nazi Party. I really do find this pathetic and abusive commentary from the right wing students and others at Curtin an eye-opening commentary on your incapacity to accept difference and an example of the ferocity of opposition to those who want to defend courses and other student issues at Curtin. As for the death threat. Really? I have removed it, but using someone else’s first name to pretend it is a leading member of Left Action is beneath contempt. Apart from childish it is criminal. But hey, if you label it a joke that makes it OK, does it? Maybe when you idiots get into the workforce you might get a glimpse of the seriousness of this sort of stuff because, unless you are a shock jock you won’t be able to go around harassing and intimidating work colleagues with Nazi death slogans or homophobic comments. And of course the other issues, the need to build a guild which fights back against management attacks, is lost in the abuse and vitriol the right unleash. But that is both what the viciousness of the Nazi death slogan and homophobic attacks and the further abuse evident on this page are meant to do – undermine the ability to organise the defence of education at Curtin.

Time October 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

Gee Emil, a tag team with ‘Jimmy’. How original….Grow up.

Time October 4, 2012 at 8:58 am

Homophobia is not a joke. It is part of the repression fo sexuality that leads to a feeling of non-acceptance and difference by gays and lesbians and leads to higher suicide rates among young gay men than the rest of the community. ‘It’s a joke’ just doesn’t cut it. Either does Better dead than red, whose heritage is as a Nazi death slogan and which on any reasonable reason samples death to he Left on Curtin campus. Again ‘it’s a joke’ is not a defence. similarly someone posting under another person’s name and ending with ‘You’re dead’ isn’t a joke either. Words have consequences. Just because the silver spoon brigade, think something is funny doesn’t mean the rest of us or even a minority of us, are rolling on the floor laughing. Some of us might be further intimidated and cowered by the power surrounding us and oppressing us and making us feel less than equal. Some of us might be threatened by the resurfacing of Nazi slogans and rampant homophobia. Disguising this a just a joke shows indeed a worldview which has no understanding of the feelings of others and is part of the use of words to oppress and empower the user and disempower the object of the ‘joke’.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Holy mother of fuck you are deluded, I already explained that all of the things were done by left-oriented students, there’s no hate from the right wing. I hope you’ve been removed from your teaching position. Those poor ANU students.

I also like how you brought up being a shock jock, it’s almost like you can take anything then link it back to some kind of current affair to attach it to that set of emotions. You compared me to a “a shock jock” (like Alan Jones), see that, you, once again have used whatever random association you can muster up, to try and vilify me. I don’t even know if you realise when you do it or if its some kind of automatic self defence mechanism. Man oh man are you a pathetic, Paz.

As for “tag teaming you with Jimmy”. I don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m not really into that. I mean it’s cool if you are, I think that everyone should have a right to get married and all but I’m just not into it, and if I was I don’t think you’d be my type, because we conflict, but then again I guess it would make out relationship more passionate and heated so I guess I’d give you a shot.

Also, please stop talking about Nazi death slogans, I’ve already explained how out of context you’re taking it. I know “shock jock”-ish blokes like you hate context but try taking it into account.

Emil.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to respond to the bit where you said “And they tore down press they disagreed with? Again assertions without facts. The only evidence I have seen is Better dead than red posters over Left Action posters. Looks to me like your comments are a tired tirade from a tiny intellect.” You’re right you have no evidence of anything aside from one image and you have extrapolated everything else from that. Wheras I’ve seen Left Action physically tear down posters, and talked to them about them tearing down posters, in person. Soooooo. I guess you’re right for once. But just the bit about you now having any actual information and in fact just jumping to ludicrous conclusions.

Emil

Comment from Ben Dover
Time October 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Game, Set and Match. Please exit stage right Paz, your time bleating on the soapbox is over.

It should be noted though, […rest of comment removed for possible defamatory material against one of the cadidates].

Comment from Hugh
Time October 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Nobody gives a shit about you or your rants John, and I for one have been visit Max Brenner more since these protests solely due to your whining about bullshit you have no clue about. They make good chocolate – I hope the Israeli’s enjoy them

Time October 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Dear Ben, love your name. Are you related to I P Freely? I’ll just keep plodding along making my arguments for a democratic society and one free of homophobia and signs drawn from the Nazis, or the McCarthyites; one where students and staff, not management and their lackeys, make the important decisions about their learning institutions; a society where people come before profit.

Time October 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Gee Emil. Such ‘evidence’ should be tested instead of just asserted.

Time October 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Better dead than red context? It was a Nazi slogan. Sorry, that is a fact of history. It was also a McCarthyite slogan. So you want to defend what was a Nazi slogan in its McCarthyite context of witch hunts? Is that it? In any event its meaning on its face to the person on the Clapham bus is still pretty clear.

Comment from Ben Dover
Time October 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm

“[…rest of comment removed for possible defamatory material against one of the cadidates].” – Nice spelling johnboy

Hahahahaha, you actually believe that the “Vote Steve for guild fuhrer” was a legit candidate? There isn’t even a Curtin Fascist Party but you knew that from your research, right?

Thank you for proving to everyone that you have NO idea what is real or made up, YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT, pull your head out of your ass, take a look at the poster that was put up and realise that it was a joke. I can’t even get my head around how someone so ignorant has managed to get this far in life.

I’m actually related to Phil McCrakin

Time October 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I bow to your superior intellect.

Time October 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I don’t believe anything from the posts from Curtin University websites, as yours is even though you represent it as coming from my email address. Presumably this is not an abuse of Curtin Uni facilities or policies. But I am being very careful given the toxic nature of the reactionary right at Curtin and its vitriolic campaign against candidates standing up for students. I am concerned about attempts at entrapment now by the likes of you and before that ‘Jess’. The fact that you are so gutless as to not reveal your name and to misuse my email address indicates the true nature of your contributions. I expect nothing less from the cowards of the right in their campaign for the further neoliberalisation of Universities and against all those who have the courage to take a principled stand against neoliberalism and its impacts on their Universities.

I am sorry you don’t understand how I got this far in life. I guess that reflects on you and your inability to accept different views.

Comment from Card Sense Jimmy Bond
Time October 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Entrapment…a colleague of mine, Sean, he was in that movie.

Comment from Bob
Time October 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Leave Passant and his cult alone. He is either too ignorant or too blind to even contemplate anyone from his organisation doing anything wrong and heresay or even proof won’t sway him. He is too far gone for logic to have any sort of effect on him.

Listen to how he constantly asserts there is a right wing faction at Curtin fighting Left Action, even though it is clear to everyone else this isn’t true. He is paranoid and delusional. He has imagined this war and nothing, not even logic will break his fantasies.

This man is mentally ill and shouldn’t be allowed to teach.

Comment from john
Time October 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi guys, i have come to my senses and realized that i was wrong all along and i apologize for running this shitty blog

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

The reactionary right of curtin doesn’t exist. You fear it only to make yourself feel like you’re on the radar of someone important. Which you are not. You’re simply acting as a form of stress relief for bored students during exam period (because really you can only jack off so many times in a day, and I’ve run out of tissues, and I can’t be bothered walking to the grocery store (this isn’t a metaphor, I’m entirely serious, if you have any tissues left from you unwanted spilled tears over this I would appreciate you sending them my way)). You are a joke. Most importantly you’re clearly wrong it’s why you keep trying to paint people as nazis and homophobes.

Time October 4, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I get to read the comments of the reactionary right from Curtin every day.

Time October 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Too bad you don’t spell my name correctly in your new email, dolt.

Time October 4, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Bob. There’s an interesting historical analogy about mental health. Stalin developed its use as a political instrument to imprison his opponents. How could anyone be opposed to the man and the heaven on earth he was creating? If they were they were clearly insane and had to be locked up. Anyone who disagrees with you is the same evidently. And of course that means because Uncle Bob says so I must be removed from my job. Stalin’s ghost lives. The right wing can’t or won’t figure out the reality of their reaction. Of course the constant childish abuse I receive from the right wing at Curtin, learnt in the little play pen of Curtin right wing politics, is just one example.

Time October 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Pretty funny cult. ‘Left Action won President, Education Vice President, Women’s officer, Queer officer and 4 councillors, knocking the Liberals out of key positions. Running on a principled and openly left wing basis, Left Action’s platform was for a Guild that would stand up for students’ rights and support social justice campaigns. There was clearly an audience for this at Curtin.’

I suspect some of the commentary here is from those shocked by democracy and the result – a large number of students voting for a fighting Guild instead of the usual milksops. This shocked clique can offer nothing but abuse of those who have a different view to them – the ‘John is delusional, paranoid’ insults from ‘Doctor’ Bob for example – and may be looking for bureaucratic ways to undermine the democratic result. This of course is just a continuation of what went on before the elections – a slogan from the Nazis and adopted by the McCarthyites about ‘better dead than red’ posted over Left Action posters and chalking up the homophobic ‘Fagtion’ over a Left Action chalk up. Those who challenge the status quo and want to mobilise people to defend and fight for their interests always meet this level of abuse from right wingers and their fellow travellers.

Comment from Phil McCracken
Time October 4, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Ben! What are you doing here? But seriously John I pity you. I truly feel sorry that you are so stuck in your ways that we have a better chance of turning Kim Beazley into a Liberal than finding a drill strong enough to bore through your thick skull so that poor malnourished brain can get some oxygen. And sense. Emil is presenting the least bias of any commenter on this article, including myself as I am biased towards him being correct. As has been said (and ignored) several times, no one is disagrees with Left Action’s policies such as gay marriage and refugee rights. However we disagree with these being used as a platform for a student guild. As much as they can lobby they can not change the laws, and therefore can not legalise gay marriage. You accuse everyone that opposed Left Action as being right wing, however the majority of these people were just being realistic. John, you are so convinced of your own self superiority that you refuse to acknowledge fact from anyone that opposes you, even when it turns out that they are right. They say kids these days are rude and arrogant. But look who raised them.

Comment from Emil Cholich
Time October 4, 2012 at 9:35 pm

It’s 2012. Fag doesn’t mean gay anymore. It’s not the 60s.

Comment from Ben Dover
Time October 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm

How could I have been so blind John, thank you for righting my course in life, thanks to you, I for one welcome our new overlords at Curtin, Peace for Palestine, End student poverty, fuck the capitalist scum

Comment from Luke
Time October 4, 2012 at 11:22 pm

The funny thing is the guild he keeps talking about, the “milksops” have largely been Socialist Alternative members. They lost seats this year, they have LESS people on guild than last year.

Now reverse your words, people are realising your group is full of shit and are therefore losing seats.

Comment from Luke
Time October 4, 2012 at 11:33 pm

And the fact you know nothing about this election, or Curtin.

Unity started using their slogan “Real students, real issues” because Left Action were trying to win students based on social issues. After the social issues campaign was clearly not working they got everyone worked up about “budget cuts” in a response to Unity to try and prove they were about uni issues too.

They built most of their campaign about these budget cuts, and a few weeks later it was revealed that LA lied and exaggerated these budget cuts; they were not happening, money was being taken out temporarily and then redistributed. It was proven that LA were lying and they still continued scaring students with these “budget cuts” and even emailed students to further their farce. This is what lost them seats with the people that were planning to vote, but they still managed to lie to enough people to win some seats.

Comment from Emily
Time October 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This is one of the most disgusting piece of journalism I’ve ever seen. Your bias is very clear in this ridiculous blog, and you defame a group for actions they did not carry out and views they do not have.

I think your beef is with the Capitalist and Fascist societies. If you want to insult them for protesting the gross use of chalk graffiti and littering of posters while students are trying to take graduation photos on campus, write an article on THEM.

Also, I’d like to congratulate Unity, who in their first year of running for guild elections, actually ran a campaign with respect toward students and university property and managed to secure many key positions, even if they do not have a member in the position of President.

Congratulations to Jess for her Presidency too, since she has clearly fought hard to earn it.

However, I hope you don’t plan to move into journalism beyond the “Socialists’ Times” because otherwise you have a LOT to work on with your reporting skills. Good luck.

Comment from Sten
Time October 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Too bad their promise to me of campus cleanup was not held. Still flyers and chalk on the wall.
BUT, I am still hoping for promised peace in Palestine. If you get that one, I retract my previous disappointment AND the one of a week’s worth of harasment.

Comment from Merv
Time October 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

As someone who knows members of unity on a personal level, has little to no knowledge of their political values and spent quite some time on campus in the weeks leading up to the election I can immediately see several inaccuracies in Jess’ piece.

1. At no point in time did members of Unity disparage either Jess or Sam Cavallaro. No member of Unity ever said anything of ill taste towards anyone in Left Action. Unlike Left Action which printed these words on one of their pamphlets, I quote:
“Left Action’s opponents argue that these campaigns are not student issues. This argument can only hold if every student is white, male and middle class”.
Unfortunately the only people making vicious, inaccurate and divisive comments were members of Left Action themselves.

2. While inappropriate posters were placed around campus this was done by groups unaffiliated with Unity and of their own accord. Surely Unity and its members cannot be held accountable for the actions of individuals on campus.

3. The continual claim made by Left Action that Unity is solely made up of students aligned with the Liberal Party is also misleading. Several identify with the Labor Party and others are not affiliated with any political party whatsoever. The claim that Unity is a mouthpiece of the Liberal Party is completely disingenuous and LA obviously missed the whole point of the campaign which was to show that it’s possible to have a guild that is truly independent of politics outside of campus.

Which brings me to my fourth point. Left Action claims to be independent and yet many, if not all, of its members are members of Socialist Alternative. Socialist Alternative is a far-left, fringe political organisation with links to the trade union movement. With its members linked to this organisation how can they claim to be truly independent?

Time October 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Jess wrote it, so your criticisms should be directed to her. As to my moves into journalism, I suggest you read my occasional pieces in the Financial Review, the Canberra Times and The Conversation. Plus the articles on my blog.

Comment from Card Sense Jimmy Bond
Time October 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Lolz are being had at the articles on your blog, bud.

As for the FinReview – dude, it’s Fairfax, it doesn’t count.