February 2014
17181920212223

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

Asylum seekers: it is right to rebel

According to the ABC asylum seekers in the Australian Government’s concentration camp on Manus Island have broken out of their prison. Reports this morning indicate a second night of resistance with a number of refugees still missing. Some have received serious injuries.

Here is some breaking news from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre:

Asylum Seekers fleeing for their lives on Manus Island Detention Centre (some hiding in jungles) from attacks from gangs, locals & armed PNG police. 1300 lives at risk. Reports of dozens of asylum seekers being seriously injured including attacks with machetes. The Australian Government must get these men to safety, this is an emergency, forget politics, their lives are at risk, the Aust. Gov. must ACT NOW & get all the men on the Dormitory Ship (a huge ship where all the staff are housed) to ensure no lives are lost.

The Australian government must act now to protect these asylum seekers. Bring them all to Australia for safety now and then process them here while living in the community. Failure to act immediately to save them means their blood is on the hands of Abbott and Morrison and those who came before them, Rudd, Gillard, Burke and Bowen.

A later report from the Minister says that one person has been killed and two seriously injured asylum seekers were flown to Australia for treatment. All up 77 people have been injured, including 13 seriously.

Unconfirmed reports are saying that ‘locals including civilians, G4S, IRT turned off the power and raided the compounds. They attacked the asylum seekers pulling them out of bed. 3 people have been shot but still alive. Lots of broken legs, arms and stab wounds. Clients in fox hid under containers until they were dragged out and beaten … Accommodation blocks closed due to blood and glass.’

I send my solidarity and support to the brave freedom fighters on the Manus Island concentration camp resisting the crimes of the Australian Government. It is right and just to rebel against such tyranny.

Close down all Australia’s asylum seeker concentration camps here and overseas.

We should consider organising collective support actions here in Australia such as demonstrations and collections of money for the freedom fighters.  Let us know if you hear of any.

I wonder if we could organise a freedom flotilla to rescue these brave people and all asylum seekers from the Australian government’s concentration camps.

Comments

Pingback from Asylum seekers: it is right to rebel | OzHouse
Time February 18, 2014 at 8:11 am

[…] Feb 17 2014 by admin […]

Time February 18, 2014 at 9:51 am

I think you will find that the majority of the Australian population fully supports this government’s efforts to deter asylum seekers from reaching Australia. It is clear these asylum seekers can well afford to pay to fly to Indonesia, plus can pay people smugglers large amounts of money to get to their preferred destination – Australia. They then destroy their passports etc (which they clearly needed to enter Indonesia) to make it more difficult to assess their refugee status. If they were merely escaping from persecution, any other country would provide that refuge. Why must it be Australia? Because social security benefits here are available. And then some of them go back home and train to be terrorists. No wonder Australians would prefer these people to be anywhere but here.

Time February 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

Kay says: ‘I fully support an increase in the intake of people from UN refugee camps that have already been assessed as refugees, and have been living in appalling conditions for many years, waiting to be resettled somewhere. I welcome them, but not the boat people coming from Indonesia.’They are the same people. Or if not, the wait for assessment is estimated to be 117 years, hence the last resort of fleeing in boats.

Yes, I am sure the majority of Australian people support brutalising refugees and asylum seekers, much as many of the German people supported the Nazis brutalising Jews. That doesn’t make it right.

Time February 18, 2014 at 10:40 am

By the way, Kay, none of the ‘facts’ you present are true.

Time February 18, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Actually my cousin has been involved at a high (SES) level in the processing of refugee claims of boat arrivals over the past few years, and with their appeals. My comments are based on his work experiences.

Exactly where did I use the word “fact”? My comments are my observations, plus my cousin’s direct experience. And the people in the UN camps are different individuals from those throwing money at people smugglers. The people in UN refugee camps have already been assessed as refugees, and are too poor and disenfranchised to be able to simply fly to Indonesia and employ people smugglers. They have demonstrated they are truly fleeing death and persecution by choosing a terrible camp situation over their homeland. Many boat arrivals have been assessed over the past few years as simply economic refugees, and have been sent home. These two groups are very different!

Time February 18, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Ah, so don’t let facts get in the way then. As long as your cousin feeds you bullshit it is OK. The vast majority (around 90%) of those claiming refugee status are held to be refugees and that is on a very very strict interpretation of the criteria.

Time February 18, 2014 at 1:57 pm

Well, exactly what direct experience have you had in processing refugee claims? None! So is what you say even greater bullshit? Of course you know best – according to you, that is!

Most asylum seekers sent home (economic refugees) are from Sri Lanka.

Time February 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I have had no expereicne in processing refugee claims. I also haven’t been in the Liberla Party but I can draw conclusions about both based on facts and what is happening. ‘Most asylum seekers sent home (economic refugees) are from Sri Lanka”. They are forced back against their will and incorrectly labelled economic refugees to satisfy the government here and the racist wing of Australian society. Yes, they are returned to a land of milk and honey where the war criminals and human rights abusers run the show and Tamils returned sometimes disappear.

Time February 18, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Ah, so no experience, but you are strangely quite confident of your so-called “facts”. Totally amazing!! The word “fact” is a very slippery slope. Most people confuse “fact” with “opinion” anyhow – especially when their personal knowledge is very limited.

Clearly you are sympathetic to boat arrivals – I am not. But what exactly qualifies you to present your take on the issue as “facts”? Just don’t confuse your sympathies with “facts”.

Comment from philip
Time February 18, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I suppose you think the $60 Million damage they did on Nauru was okay?

Time February 19, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Yes. I hope that they destroy the concentration camps. In fact I hope it becomes an uprising against the tyrants like the Warsaw Ghetto was.

Write a comment