May 2015
« Apr   Jun »
18192021222324

I hate Australian capitalism. Will I be stripped of my Australian passport ?

The Australian Cabinet, according to the Fairfax Press, had a vigorous debate about stripping the passports from Australian citizens who commit acts of terrorism or fight for the likes of ISIS.

The Cabinet decided to give the power to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection to strip their passports if they were dual nationals. This would supposedly avoid making them stateless.

The cabal argued vigorously over the proposal to take away the citizenship of those who hold only Australian passport; so too the ‘softer’ two passports policy.  According to Daniel Hurst in the Guardian Cabinet ‘deferred a decision on strong new powers against sole nationals after a cabinet backlash’.

Let’s make it crystal clear what the government is doing. It is abandoning its citizens. And not just that. It is doing so without evidence, or without due process.

The changes will give the Minister the power to strip dual nationals of their Australian citizenship on suspicion of terrorist activity. Let me emphasise that. ON SUSPICION OF TERRORIST ACTIVITY.

For those who like their history ironic, on this 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, here is what one clause says:

No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any other way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgement of his equals or by the law of the land. To no one will we sell, to no one deny or delay right or justice.

Eight hundred years later what do we have the Australian government doing, again? No courts, no evidence tested in the courts, no judge and no jury. Just Peter Dutton deciding he doesn’t like the cut of your jib. And bingo. There you are, a dual citizen, without an Australian passport. Outlawed and exiled on the whim of Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, a latter day King John.

This has nothing to do with addressing terrorism. If it did we’d adopt the advice of Noam Chomsky and stop participating in it.

This latest anti-terrorism stunt has everything to do with shoring up support for a weak government. As the reality of the unfair 2015 Budget becomes clearer to more people the end result will be a government that ramps up, and up, the terrorism threat. It will play the fear card. Through ongoing scare campaigns including those about stripping citizens of their citizenship, the Abbott government will stoke, nudge nudge, wink wink, Islamophobia and racism and divert attention away for its rotten Budget.

Dual citizens are just the first target, the first domino to fall if you like. Next on the list is and will be Australian citizens with no other passport. Their time too will come.

This new direction also opens the door for an extension from the external enemy to the enemy within. According to Mark Kenny in the Fairfax media, Abbott said earlier:

“Effectively, what we are doing is acknowledging that in the modern world it’s not just people who are serving with an enemy army who are in a sense at odds with the whole nature of citizenship, but people who are working with terrorist organisations that hate our country, hate our way of life, hate our values. They have likewise put themselves outside the extended family of our nation.”

I of course do not work with a terrorist organisation but I hate Australian capitalism. I hate those values of the Australian ruling class that see it join in the slaughter of millions of innocents in foreign lands. The Australian government has been one of the biggest terrorist organisations in the world with its participation in imperialist wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq contributing to the deaths of over 4 million people.

The slaughter our ruling class undertakes happens not only overseas.  Thousands die here in Australia as a result of local ruling class terrorism, whether it be, to name a few examples, the family terrorism that kills two women a week, the concentration camps for asylum seekers, the violence of the long slow genocide of Aboriginal people, or the weekly deaths and serious injuries on building sites in the name of profit.

I am a outside Abbott’s family. I am part of the family of workers worldwide. In times of social crisis I will be the enemy they try to imprison without trail, to render stateless in my country of birth.

Sound far fetched? How goes Julian Assange? What support has this government offered him?

A look at history shows the politically repressive nature of the  Australian state. In World War I the government outlawed the Industrial Workers of the World using trumped up charges and convictions to justify their repression. For part of the time during World War II the Communists were banned. In the 1950s Menzies tried to outlaw the Communist Party.

Of course at the moment there are many ‘enemies’ within – hyped up terrorists, Muslims, Aborigines, dole bludgers, rorting mothers.

It is  likely that only in times of social crisis with the anti-capitalist left on the rise that the State will actually feel the need to criminalise us. However given that Abbott’s world view is about the Australian family, or Team Australia as he so ineloquently put it some time ago, and I am not part of that team (and neither are Muslims or Aborigines), his us and them approach can lead to the demonisation and repression soon enough of serious political dissent.

The terrorism hype and changes to our immigration laws throw away basic rights to a trial and give incredible powers to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection. They undermine our freedoms here and now. They set a dangerous precedent. They prepare the way for further criminalising dissent in Australia.

Comments

Comment from Stephen
Time May 27, 2015 at 12:53 am

I wonder if when we finally escape from Abbotts stark and miserable world view, could some future Minister cancel Abbotts Citizenship and deport him back to England could be worth accepting the legislation just for that?

Comment from Brian
Time May 27, 2015 at 9:58 am

It is very simple, if you hate Australian capitalism…LEAVE, no one is forcing you to stay. In fact, unlike North Korea you have the right to leave and NEVER come back.

You don’t have the right to live in Australia, its a privilege.

You complain how bad our country is, yet we give you protection to have your say. No country is an island, that is we all have to pick sides. I would rather pick Australia, UK, Canada, US and most western nations because I am free to have my say, walk the street, get a good education, get a good job, have a good health system and feel safe at night.

Allow anyone who chooses to fight against us back into our country is just asking for trouble.

I don’t support a religion that’s has female circumcision, stoning, hates all other religions, treats women worse than dogs (the list is endless) Having said that I am an atheist, so I don’t support any religion that protects paedophiles.

I know you have a unhealthy hatred for capitalism, yet you leech off society by having a tax paid income paid to you.

How Ironic is that?

Now are you going to publish this post, or as usual spit the dummy and remove the post because I dare question your motives?

Comment from Tony
Time May 27, 2015 at 10:43 am

“I hate Australian capitalism. Will I be stripped of my Australian passport ?”

Maybe when you start murdering people in a profit making cafe frequented by bourgeois coffee drinkers you just might.

Time May 27, 2015 at 10:55 am

You hate Australian capitalism? You’ve benefited from it all your life!

Comment from newwaysys
Time May 27, 2015 at 2:13 pm

No liberated person might be seized or detained, or stripped of his rights or belonging, or prohibited or banished, or denied of his remaining in whatever other way, nor will we continue with power against him, or send others to do as such, aside from by the legal judgment of his equivalents or by the rule that everyone must follow. To nobody will we offer, to nobody deny or postpone right or equity.

Eight hundred years after the fact what do we have the Australian government doing, once more? No courts, no proof tried in the courts, no judge and no jury. Simply Peter Dutton choosing he doesn’t care for the cut of your jib. Furthermore, bingo. There you are, a double resident, without an Australian international ID

Comment from newwaysys
Time May 27, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Comment from Ross
Time May 27, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Good article John. Myself and others posted on George Brandis’ facebook that he is taking us to fascism. George has consequently stopped all comments on his page.

Our secret police ( intelligence services) now have too much power. They can break the law with impunity and we can be jailed for revealing them. Naomi Wolf spoke of the last steps of fascism ie self censorship, because the people become too afraid to speak out. We are not far from this reality.

We are not moving towards a better society. The masses are still asleep.

Comment from Mr G. H. Schorel-Hlavka O.W.B.
Time May 27, 2015 at 11:25 pm

You are really mouthing off but what action did you do?
On 4 occasions the High Court of Australia (the 4th time on the day of the armed murderous invasion into Iraq) refused to accept my application for filing as to that the armed invasion was unconstitutional unless the Governor-General published in the gazette a DECLARATION OF WAR citing Iraq. I fought and comprehensively defeated the Commonwealth of Australia on 19 July 2006 as to “compulsory voting”, and I didn’t see you around, let alone providing any kind of support.
As a CONSTITUTIONALIST I view that the Commonwealth of Australia has the right to deny anyone to enter the Commonwealth of Australia where they are having a criminal record.
Hansard 3-3-1898 Constitution Convention Debates
Sir JOHN FORREST.-What is a citizen? A British subject?
Mr. WISE.-I presume so.
Sir JOHN FORREST.-They could not take away the rights of British subjects.
Mr. WISE.-I do not think so. I beg to move- That the words “each state” be omitted, with the view of inserting the words “the Commonwealth.”
I apprehend the Commonwealth must have complete power to grant or refuse citizenship to any citizen within its borders. I think my answer to Sir John Forrest was given a little too hastily when I said that every citizen of the British Empire must be a citizen of the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth will have power to determine who is a citizen. I do not think Dr. Quick’s amendment is necessary. If we do not put in a definition of citizenship every state will have inherent power to decide who is a citizen. That was the
decision of the Privy Council in Ah Toy’s case.
Sir JOHN FORREST.-He was an alien.
Mr. WISE.-The Privy Council decided that the Executive of any colony had an inherent right to determine who should have the rights of citizenship within its borders.
Mr. KINGSTON.-That it had the right of keeping him out.
END QUOTE

In my view it has nothing to do with being a Muslim, or whatever but has to do with extremist who involve themselves with kind of enemy conduct. Actually customs and border patrol officers are often refusing entry to people where they have a criminal record that is of concern and/or are dubious.
I wrote for some time that the Federal government should make it a “political” decision to avoifd the High Court of Australia to overturn a decision, such as where a criminal (murderer) was deported and then re-entered under false identity and then having fathered a child in Australia the High Court of Australia overruled the new deportation orders. We had judges interfering at risk of society.

I oppose many pieces of legislation as being unconstitutional and my blog at http://www.scribd.com/inspectorrikati sets it out, but I am not prepared to discredit the Federal Government for doing what is its inherent power as to seek to protect its citizens.
Next time you write an article try first to do some background research, so you can show to understand what you are writing about?

Time May 28, 2015 at 6:34 am

Great way to win my support. I am about mobilising people against the government, not wasting my time playing constitutional games. I was helping organise protests of 15000 people in Canmberra against the war in Iraq, not playing silly ganmes years later in the High Court. Those protests had the potential to stop the war, unlike arguments in the High Court.

The extremists, the war mongers and war criminals, sit in Cabinet and on the Opposition benches.

As for your comment about the Government protecting its citizens, it is a misunderstanding of capitalist government which is the protector of capital, not its people.

But glad to see I have provoked an old reactionary to comment.

Comment from Ross
Time May 28, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Mr GH Schorel et al is tad ignorant. Govts care not for their citizens since it is now central bankers who create all the money for them to exist.

These few elite families of this planet own all the banks, oil companies, pharma, weapons and media companies on this planet. As George Carlin used to say,” They’ve got you by the balls.The politicians are put there to give you the impression of choice. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you.”

Comment from Ross
Time May 29, 2015 at 8:23 pm

This is the old Webster Dictionary definition of terrorism “the use of violent acts to frighten the people in an area as a way of trying to achieve a political goal” ie mostly done by our Govts.

Comment from Brolga
Time May 31, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Capitalism is defined as a mode by which trade, industries, and the means of production are largely or entirely privately owned. This is across the board regardless of the industry or the need for the particular good or service that is offered, so in essence everything has a price even a life. The organisations on the other side of this transaction are modern day vampires that are only there to suck consumer dry. If we think of the rights of the citizens of a country, even citizens of the world there are some necessities that every individual should have the right to. They include all of the essentials that we need to live a healthy life such as health care, clean drinking water, education ect. By privatising the essentials we are seeing the natural divide that Capitalism creates in society with the haves and the have nots.