October 2015
« Sep   Nov »
19202122232425

Pink balls?

Pink balls?

This is my letter in Thursday’s Canberra Times.

Let me add my voice to the growing chorus against the pink ball. (Andrew Wu and Jon Pierik ‘Not too late to call day-night test off, says players union’ The Canberra Times Sport, page 20).

I went to the PM’s XI game on Friday at Manuka Oval. I couldn’t see the pink ball out of the bowler’s hand. That may of course have been as a result of where I was sitting. However unlike other games I have been at across Australia where a red ball was used, I couldn’t see the pink ball off the bat and had to rely on where the fielders were heading to get a sense of where the ball was going or had gone.

But then again, I am just a spectator and supporter so my voice doesn’t count against the media billionaires, does it Cricket Australia?

Comments

Comment from Mike
Time October 30, 2015 at 7:26 am

I don’t know why you reduce every issue to being about the people vs the billionaires.

I watched a local 20/20 cricket match on Tuesday night. Guess what? They were using pink balls.

Why do they use pink balls. Because red is too hard to see when it gets dark. Why do they not use white balls? Because the players wear white. Why do they not use yellow? Because yellow has been tried and its hard to see.

Maybe the Matildas should try increasing crowds and television audiences and they might get paid more!

Time October 30, 2015 at 9:34 am

‘They are playing day/night matches in an attempt to increase crowds and television audiences. Is that a bad thing?’ Yes, if spectators (and players) cannot see the ball. That is my point. They are pushing ahead with this to satisfy the billionaires, not the spectators and supporters.

Comment from Mike
Time October 30, 2015 at 10:19 am

Spectators that are at work or school will not see a thing. I love watching cricket in the evenings. I’m not a billionaire.

Time October 30, 2015 at 2:34 pm

True, but the rush to play day/night tests with a ball that neither spectators at the ground can see or the players feel comfortable with, indicates that the driver for this is not working class people who are supporters but the people who benefit financially from our support, the media billionaires who own Channel 9.

Comment from Mike
Time October 30, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Rush?
Supertests were first played in 1977.

A number of first class matches have been played under lights since 2000.

Given the pissweak attendances at a lot of test matches around the world, its good that the administrators are trying something.

Time October 30, 2015 at 2:46 pm

And why have none been played in Australia till now? And why is the players association suggesting not going ahead with the Adelaide one?

Comment from Mike
Time October 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm

There’s a first for everything.

Comment from Gary MacLennan
Time October 30, 2015 at 6:11 pm

John

I am a cricket watching fanatic. I hear what you are saying, but will suspend judgement until after the test.
I am of course a traditionalist, but I like all forms of the game. I am especially grateful to 20 20 for keeping spinners in the game.

My criticism of test cricket is that they prepare dead wickets for the test to ensure tv audiences over 5 days, and it is that which is killing the five day game.

best regards

Gary

Time October 30, 2015 at 7:37 pm

The Players Association is calling for the Adelaide test to be a day game, with a red ball, saying the pink ball has problems for the players. That seems to settle the issue for me.

Comment from Tom
Time October 30, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Why are you supporting the position of multi-millionaire cricketers and not working class spectators like myself?

Time October 31, 2015 at 5:32 am

The two views coincide.

Time October 31, 2015 at 5:33 am

Good point about five day games.

Comment from Lorikeet
Time October 31, 2015 at 6:20 pm

No doubt a pink ball supports the game being rigged which is probably par for the course in the modern era.

I don’t watch cricket or football. The former is like watching grass grow and the latter is more like Mugby Bleed.

Time November 5, 2015 at 7:52 am

And if you can’t see the pink ball then you don’t have a game. If it stuffs up batters and bowlers then you don’t have a game.