March 2018
« Feb   Apr »
19202122232425

The Batman by-election: lessons for Labor and the Greens

Labor candidate Ged Kearney and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten celebrate Batman by-election win (screen shot via YouTube).

In Independent Australia John Passant analyses Ged Kearney’s Batman by-election win and what it says about left-wing policies.

Comments

Comment from Freethinker
Time March 19, 2018 at 6:33 pm

I share your views complete not only about both parties but also on which actions have to be taken.
In Uruguay, we went through this in the 1960’s and the only solution was for those real progressive and left politicians in the two big parties to walk out of them and form a broad front with the socialist and communists. Together with strong workers and student unions, they were able to make a change.

Comment from Lorikeet
Time March 20, 2018 at 9:00 am

I thought Labor won because the Greens and Liberals are both on the nose for passing a Same Sex Marriage Bill after conducting a non-compulsory postal poll on the issue.

In doing this, they followed France, where a comparable percentage voted up SSM. The idea only got over the line because they failed to conduct a proper referendum.

Of equal or greater importance, I think workers were sick of being mistreated and abused, and were therefore keen to vote up a pillar of the Labor movement, even though their interest in Australian workers is not even close to what it should be.

Comment from Lorikeet
Time March 20, 2018 at 9:28 am

Yes, it is an interesting article with lots of good points. Clearly Labor had to run a high profile candidate to keep the Greens woman out. Woman against woman also.

I also noted that the Greens polled poorly in the recent Tasmanian election. I think part of the reason they are doing less well is that opposition to any project that would produce jobs is likely to be unpalatable to workers.

Tasmania is also top heavy with older people, and the Greens made the mistake of voting up a harsher Assets Test for pensioners at the federal level, proving they are not from the Left at all.

We were also told that Liberals had managed to lift the Taswegian economy from the bottom of the pile. I think Labor also made a mistake when they ran a 35 year old blonde woman as their leader, even though she may have picked up a few extra votes from young men. (Wolf whistle…sex sells, but not to everyone.)

In the Batman by-election, the right wing candidate may have done poorly because lots of people don’t like Malcolm Turnbull aka Turdball…. sorry, I just had to get that one in.

I don’t think most voters are sufficiently aware of ideas the Greens support. There must be some really uninformed people living in the seat of Batman. However the Greens probably polled well among the well-heeled Right Wing Greens supporters, as global corporate neo-communists are likely to feather their nests, while ordinary Australians suffer.

I met some of these crashing condescending snobs at a forum on Millennium Development Goals held by the Greens in the federal seat of Brisbane in 2010. It was held at the most expensive private girls’ school in central Brisbane. I think this was the school attended by Senator Andrew Bartlett’s only daughter. At the time, he was running as a candidate for the seat.

Unfortunately the seat was lost to Liberals by Labor’s Arch Bevis who had held it for more than 20 years. Andrew Bartlett also did poorly when he ran for Mayor in Brisbane.

I think the seat of Brisbane moved to the right largely because homes in inner city suburbs have increased greatly in value and only the well-heeled can afford to live there.

Comment from Lorikeet
Time March 20, 2018 at 9:36 am

I would like to know if Batman is a poor area in general. Where I live, both state and federal electorates comprise a diverse range of areas, which are occasionally gerrymandered by the sitting government.

Where I live, a recent gerrymander by Labor only kept their candidate in power due to distribution of preferences from Greens and the Animal Justice Party. The Liberal candidate may have just scraped over the line if Labor had not also switched to compulsory preferential voting (numbering all squares).

Once again, there was no candidate I wished to vote for, so I voted Labor to keep Campbell Newman’s (Liberal) buddies out.

Comment from ross
Time March 24, 2018 at 7:02 pm

Just remember on 21/02 /2018 Labour ,Greens and LNP passed Bail in laws which give the banks the power to convert your deposits into their shares when they get into trouble. The left/right paradigm is the tool by which our banking elites divide and conquer the masses whom they enslave via the debt money creation system,. Both China and Russia have broken away from these central bankers and this is why the West wants war with them. Their New World Order is falling apart along with their debt money creation system.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time March 25, 2018 at 12:45 pm

Maybe this should be re-titled “Batman and Lessons for Socialists”

John used Batman to propagate a well known sectarian line, ie;

Readers will know that, as a socialist, I am no fan of either the ALP or the Greens. Neither, in my view, offer a left-wing vision let alone practice that would encourage me to join them.

This was my view in the 1970’s and 80’s.

However, leaving some complexities aside, such posturing contradicts the Communist Manifesto and leads to damaging fragmentation and bourgeois individualism.

Socialist should not desert the working class, or split the working class, merely because they currently lack the level of consciousness and activity you would want. Why should it be left up to others to create the party you want so that you can join AFTER the hard work has been done?

It is far more important to support workers even when they disagree with your policuies so they will support them when conditions change.

Socialists should always seek to serve as a vanguard within a movement and not as a satellite delivering messages from outside.