October 2009
19202122232425

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

War criminal Obama wins peace prize – satire lives

Barack Obama, after only 9 warmongering months, has won the Nobel Peace prize.

What for?

For keeping in place the 60,000 US troops currently terrorising Afghanistan?

For sending in an extra 21,000 troops to Afghanistan recently?

For contemplating sending an extra 40,000 murderers to kill more Afghans?

For withdrawing in name only from Iraq?

For drone bombing Afghanistan and Pakistan and killing innocent people?

For arming Israel to the teeth and helping it imprison Gaza?

For supporting Israel’s ongoing genocide against the Palestinians?

For vetoing (as he will and has already threatened to do) any action on the Goldstone report into war crimes in Gaza?

For opposing – nudge, nudge, wink, wink – the coup in Honduras?

Or perhaps for his ‘success’ in Sudan, Somalia and Sri Lanka?

As Tom Lehrer said when another war criminal, Henry Kissinger – the man who bombed the hell out of Vietnam and Cambodia and killed millions – won the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize:

It was at that moment that satire died. There was nothing more to say after that.

Apparently satire isn’t dead.

Let’s be clear. Barack Obama runs the biggest killing machine in the world.

He unleashes it to protect the interests of US capitalism.

This is not a break from the imperialist past but its continuity.

Barack Obama is a war criminal. He should be in leg irons before the International Court of Justice in The Hague.

Comments

Comment from Auguste
Time October 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Give the boy a break. He hasn’t really had the opportunity to commit any really grievous ‘crimes’ yet. But it seems, for you at least, being the leader of a capitalist country is sufficient to constitute prima facie guilt for an offence you don’t really define. But, I guess, putting a few noses out of joint is the price of getting things done.

However the Nobel Peace Prize, as you properly suggest, would seem a little premature at this stage. I remember something Obama’s predecessor said, it was to the effect of: “you don’t want to peak too early.” It might be relevant here. Obama needs more time to do his work.

Keep up the good work, John. I do enjoy your blog.

Time October 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Auguste, I list some of the crimes. Many have died on Obama’s watch. And for this he wins the peace prize?

I will take up your suggestion and at some stage explain what is a war crime and why Obama is guilty. From memory Noam Chomsky did the analysis some years ago and found every President since the second world war had a case to answer for war crimes. (or maybe that any dispassionate analysis would conclude they were guilty).

The fact is Obama’s position as head of the major imperialist power demands he commit war crimes. He is.

Comment from Gerben
Time October 9, 2009 at 11:27 pm

I suppose anyone having a difficult job like Obama is by definition disqualified for any award praising the way he handles it.

You’re saying here John that basically the guy who sits home on his coach all day not harming anyone has to be nominated for the Nobel prize.

The shoes he had to fill after eight years sort of by default gave room to accuse him of war crimes.

I would say that the way he handles the job when it comes to promoting peace far exceeds expectations of someone else in that position. Probably award worthy.

If it should be the Nobel peace prize is a whole different issue. I could name prominent figures who would certainly deserve it a bit more.

But to state Obama does not deserve it at all really doesn’t do his performance justice.

Please pardon my English where necessary.

Time October 9, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Gerben, thank you. I am not saying give it to a couch potato. I am saying the very position Obama holds mandates he be a war criminal. The idea that he needs more time, or has inherited the problems from Bush and wants to completely reverse them is not true. He has already increased troops to Afghanistan. His drones have killed innocent kids in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He may well send more troops to Afghanistan. He supports Israel in Palestine. These are not George Bush’s decisions or actions. They are Barack Obama’s. A peace loving President, to be considered for the Nobel peace prize, would have withdrawn all troops from foreign countries (the 132 they have bases and troops in), stopped aid to Israel, and so on. But Obama is doing none of that – he is doing the opposite , namely increasing or at least maintaining the US military presence around the world. He is not a break from the imperialist past but its continuity.
Your English is fine, by the way.

Comment from Mark Russell
Time October 10, 2009 at 12:28 am

I agree that Barack Obama has committed war crimes. He is a beautiful speaker, and on the surface of things appears to be quite ‘left wing’ but in terms of actions – he’s just maintained the USA’s aggressive military policies. It’s unfortunate that he seems (to my way of thinking) to be unable to move in a pacifist direction because of the nature of American politics.

Comment from Elián Maricón
Time October 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

“He should be in leg irons before the International Court of Justice in The Hague.”

Will you marry me? lol

Seriously, that is the best quote I have read on the subject. With your permission, I would like to re-post your post on this matter on my blog Queers against Obama, and of course I would give proper credit and provide copious links back to this site.

Comment from Arjay
Time October 10, 2009 at 3:39 pm

You have to realise also that Obama takes instructions from the Corporate elites.When Bush brought in the Patriot Act along with Presidential Executive orders,the US lost any democracy it thought it had.My view is that Obama is looking for an excuse like Iran,suspend the constitution and establish martial law.

The US is contemplating using tactical nuclear weapons.These are extremely dangerous times.We all need to get more aware and involved to stop this insanity.

A very honest and most courageous article John.

These are very dangerous times and we all need to

Comment from Benjamin Solah
Time October 11, 2009 at 3:15 pm

He’s bombing people in Afghanistan. I’m astounded that people leaving comments here want to ‘give the guy a break.’

Why do people always defend the status quot and these people in power?!

Comment from Droo
Time October 12, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Apparently, nominations for the Peace Prize closed 11 days after the Obama inauguration so he’d hardly had time to demonstrate anything either peaceful or otherwise. Doesn’t make it any less of a joke that someone could be nominated after being in office for 11 days.

Comment from Peter
Time October 12, 2009 at 5:25 pm

John, I’d really like the link or reference to Chomsky’s analysis on war crimes. I have some left liberal law student friends who might (and should) be interested.
YFTR,
Peter

Comment from Mark Russell
Time October 12, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Peter – http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990—-.htm

Time October 13, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Peter, Mark has helpfully posted Chomsky’s comments. But I am looking now at the Goldstone report into war crimes in Palestine and I think that it is easy enough to use to both outline what war crimes are and how Obama has already committed them. The drone bombings killing hundreds of civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan are one example.

Comment from Zippy
Time October 14, 2009 at 1:37 am

There is a heavy bias towards presenting the Nobel Prizes to Americans, with about one-third of all winners coming from the US. Barack Obama also becomes the fourth US president to win the Nobel Peace Prize. No other country has seen its leaders rewarded like this, which is ironic considering that no other country has been responsible for killing as many people in this last century. In fact, all of the US presidential winners have been responsible for war, including Obama. It begs the question – What drugs does someone have to be on to award a peace prize to a leader who is currently waging two wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan?

Time October 14, 2009 at 7:14 am

Elian, by all means, feel free to use the article with attribution and a link. Thanks. John

Pingback from En Passant » Obama couldn’t really be a war criminal, could he?
Time October 14, 2009 at 11:11 pm

[…] Readers might also like to look at War criminal Obama wins peace prize – satire lives. […]

Write a comment