March 2011
« Feb   Apr »
14151617181920

The Greens, electric vehicle networks in Canberra and Palestine

This is a copy of a letter I sent to the Canberra Times. They published it today (24 March) without the last sentence.

John

_____________________________________________________________________

I note that the Greens’ ethical investment Bill is currently being discussed by an Assembly Committee. (Noel Towell ‘Govt investments must mirror policy: Greens’ The Canberra Times Tuesday March 22 p 1).

I can find no reference on the Green’s hit list of companies to Better Place Australia, a company built through its close links to Israel and whose technology has been tested in occupied Palestine.

Better Place Australia is to roll out an electric vehicle network of recharge and battery swaps points across Canberra, all with the enthusiastic support of the Greens.

Better Place is doing this in partnership with ActewAGL, a joint venture 50% owned by ACTEW, a Territory owned corporation.

In the warped world view of the Canberra Greens building an environmentally friendly EV network on the bones of the Palestinians is somehow ethical.

I look forward to the Greens leading a boycott against Better Place in Canberra.

Or are the Greens hypocrites where environmental concerns trump ethical investments every time?

_________________________

Readers might also like to read Boycott Israel: boycott Better Place in Canberra and Electric cars in Canberra and the genocide in Palestine.

Comments

Comment from Ian
Time March 23, 2011 at 3:09 am

Letter I sent you on Nov 11, (you didn’t address any of the points):

John, You can do better than “electronic intifada” to understand both sides of the conflict, especially your whitewashing of Hamas.

Here is Hamas’ Charter:

Article 7:
The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews, when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him.

Article 11:
The Islamic Resistance Movement believes that the land of Palestine is an Islamic Waqf consecrated for future Moslem generations until Judgement Day. It, or any part of it, should not be squandered: it, or any part of it, should not be given up.

Article 13: Initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences, are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement.

John, if you really stand with the oppressed, why not stand for the Jews who were banned from all holy sites under Moslem sovereignty. The Jews who were expelled from Hebron in 1929 and Jerusalem in 1948. Hamas doesn’t exist because of Zionist oppression John, Zionism exists because of the oppression of Jews. Why is Judaism banned in Saudi Arabia John? Where is your call to boycott Saudi oil? 50,000 Palestinians were expelled from Libya in 1995 because the PLO began negotiations with Israel, John. Where is your call to boycott Libyan oil? 400,000 Palestinians expelled from Kuwait in 1991 John. Where is your call to boycott Kuwaiti oil? Palestinians kept in refugee camps in Lebanon, where is the boycott? Palestinians kept in camps even in Gaza (run by Hamas), where is your call to boycott Hamas?

As for the deaths due to rocket attacks John, the reason why “only” 14 Israelis have died is that Israel protects its citizens with bomb shelters. Hamas on the other hand only launches rockets from crowded areas, which makes them responsible in law for any deaths that result. If you hold a baby in one hand John, and start sword fighting with your other hand, YOU ARE responsible if the baby gets hurt. That is the law and Hamas is responsible for all the casualties in Gaza.

I also noticed that you hate Israel and the USA but you only endorse a boycott of little Israel. Your courage is truly inspirational!

Comment from Cal
Time March 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Today a Palestinian terrorist plants a bomb at a bus stop in jeruslamen where women and children are going to school and work and what does John Passant do? He write a letter to the Canberra Times saying electric cars are built on the bones of dead palestinians.

Mr P, it is little wonder your world view is so askew and out of step with humanity. You oppose measures to stop a mass murderer, you oppose aid to a 3rd world country wiped out by an earthquake, you oppose the Greens (no doubt because they get votes and the SA do not) and now you oppose non petrol vehicles.

I find it passing strange that you never condemn terrorism, never condemn violence, never condemn attacks on innocent people. I can’t wait to see you leading the armed revolution through the leafy suburb of Canberra – after you’ve taken the garbage out and collected your home delivered newspaper!!!

Time March 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Actually the majority of humanity agree with me about occupied Palestine Cal.

Apparently only dead Israelis count in your world view.

In the fight against apartheid in South Africa some innocent people were killed in the oppressed fight against the oppressors. End the oppression and the killing ends. Your logic supports the oppressor against the oppressed and the continuation of the killing, killing done overwhelmingly by the most vicious and well armed and US supported regime in the region – Israel.

Part of the campaign against Israel’s apartheid was a boycott to stop the ongoing genocide against the Palestinian people.

Just s I supported the call of the oppressed in South Africa to boycott the products of the oppressor and those associated with it (and helped organize such activity at Monash University) I do the same today to defeat the oppressor and liberate all the peoples of the region, including the Jewish people.

Comment from Wendy
Time March 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I was alerted to your letter. You say the electric car is built on the bones of dead Palestinians. Perhaps you can answer this questions, what has been built on the bones of dead Maccabbes; dead Herods and the reign of Tigranes, Drusilla, Agrippa, Antpas etc; dead Islamic Caliphs like Otham & Marwan; how about the dead Crusaders: Godfrey, the Daldwins, Isabella, Maria of Montferrat and Conrad II and III; and let’s thrown in the dead Hasemites. Then we have the Hittites, Assyrians, Ammonites, Edomites, Moabites, Israelites …and don’t forget the Phonicians and Philistines.
That’s putting to one side your Greeks, Romans, Turks, and British.
What do they all have in common? They all ruled over the land of Israel/Palestine. They procreated, migrated, infiltrated, desecrated and left a group of people of mixed descendants. What divides them now is ideology, not geography.
Your unyielding support for the terrorists who now control Gaza is a misreading of history and negates the fact that the modern entity is built on the bones of millions of dead from a dozen different invading cultures.
Out of interest, isn’t Canberra built on the bones of Aborigines killed and dispersed by you Anglo-Celtic invaders? Isn’t it time you stopped driving a car or using a bus built on the genocide of the dark skinned land owners?

Comment from cal
Time March 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I cannot believe you said this about South Africa: “End the oppression and the killing ends.” SA is now the second most dangerous country in the world and has the second highest murder rate in the world! Check out the travel warnings about going there.

Gaza is not occupied by Israel. Yet you support the firing of rockets on innocents. My god man, that is barbaric. Read Hamas’ constitution, they want to wipe the country off the map. This will not end with a Palestinian state, have you learnt nothing from the uprisings in the Middle East?

You say “some innocent people were killed”, I wonder if that was your family, your friends, your people whether you would chant the same mantra.

But then again, ideology is easy when you live in a leafy suburb and have never been near a war zone or had to take up the struggle yourself.

Are you ready to adopt armed resistance and see your family sacrificed for your ideology?

Time March 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Yes Wendy, Canberra is built on the bones of the conquered aborigines. Hence my support for sovereignty, a treaty and so on. Why don’t you express solidarity with that campaign?

Comment from Ian
Time March 25, 2011 at 12:20 am

John,
You still haven’t shown me where you are promoting a boycott of Saudi Arabia, Iran, Kuwait, Libya, Jordan, Syria, USA, China, UK, France, Russia, Sudan, Zimbabwe.

(Paraphrasing your edited letter to the Times:)

Is John Passant a hypocrit where hating only Israel trumps human rights every time?

Time March 25, 2011 at 6:30 am

I support revolutions in those countries and if the oppressed in revolution call for boycotts I will support them. Looking forward to you joining me in supporting the working class in the US for example in its battle against big business and their democrat and republican puppets. My comrades are on the picket lines and the occupations in Wisconsin. Are yours? my comrades are int eh heat of the struggles in Egypt, and helped build strong working class organisation in the last couple of years. Did yours?

I look forward to you joining me in supporting the people of Bahrain overthrow their US backed dictatorship, the people of Saudi Arabia overthrowing their US backed dictatorship. Why the silence Ian? Is democracy in the region a threat to the apartheid regime in Israel? I oppose all oppression Ian, so I oppose the Israeli dictatorship in the region just as I oppose the US backed dictatorships across the region and just as I oppose the anti-US dictatorships across the region. Haven’t noticed your support for the overthrow of any of these regimes, presumably because democracy in the region threatens the apartheid regime in occupied Palestine.

So tell me what your comrades are doing Ian? Killing Palestinians? Supporting the Saudi occupation of Bahrain? Barracking for the suppression of the Yemeni freedom fighters? Didn’t see you at the anti-Gaddafi demos, the anti-Mubarak demos in Australia. Wonder why not. I’ll leave it to others to judge Zionist hypocrisy.

Comment from Ian
Time March 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

I don’t recall saying I support Saudi Arabia in Bahrain John. I ask you again… where is your call to boycott the USA? Do you boycott American products? Are you leading a boycott against American companies? The same goes for China. Are you leading a boycott of products made in China? Show me where this post is on your blog where you lead the boycott against iPhones and products made in China? Have you ever written to the Canberra Times demanding trade sanctions with China? Or are you a hypocrit.

Or are you a hypocrit?

Time March 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

No, but I have written to the Canberra Times calling for workers to rise up aginst their oppressors. I organised demonstrations in Canberra in support of those in Tianamien Sq in 1989. Where were you? When US workers rise up against their opproessors and demand we boycott US goods I will do the same.

Comment from Wendy
Time March 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm

In regards to the ‘bones of the Palestinians’ comment, are you aware that the Roman leader Titus murdered an estimated 600,000 Jews in Palestine/Israel in 70 AD – 6000 women and children were burnt alive during the sacking of the Temple, and 10000 fighters had their throats cuts. This is an undisputed historical fact, recorded by the Romans. The surviving Jews were expelled from their homeland.

So I ask you this – whose land is it? The land of the original and indigenous people, or the land of the invading Arabs who came after the Romans has killed or expelled the traditional owners?

If you support oppressed and victimised people, then why are you supporting the original owners for thousands of years, ruthlessly killed by Roman invaders?

The Arabs usurped the land of the Jews and built their homes on the bones of the dead chosen people. It is righfully theirs and they deserve our support in defending their homeland.

Comment from Ian
Time March 26, 2011 at 2:07 am

You’ve proven my point, John. You support protests and revolutions, but you do not boycott the USA or China. You call for a boycott of Better Place, but no boycott of Saudi oil, or Chinese products or American products. Hypocrisy.

Time March 26, 2011 at 8:11 am

Ian, BDS is a specific call from the oppressed in occupied Palestine, seen as a non-violent response to the violence of Zionism. The left in the West, or many of us, have responded to the legitimate call of the oppressed in Palestine for a boycott, just as we did when the freedom fighters in South Africa did the same thing. There has been no call from the oppressed in the US or the other countries you mention for such a boycott and it’s not for us to impose a form of struggle on them. It is for us to respond to their struggles and support the freedom fighters in ways they want us to do as ordinary citizens and left wingers. When or if they do ask for a boycott we will debate it and take appropriate action.

Comment from Cal
Time March 26, 2011 at 8:13 am

I note that the victim of the latest Hamas terrorist attack was a tourist studying languages in Israel – obviously just cause to be killed, hey?

And re Ian’s comment – will you now throw away all clothing, electrical items and household goods manufactured by the genocidal dictatorship of China? Will you boycott all Chinese made goods in solidarity with your Tibetan brothers and the working class of China, oppressed by a murderous regime and denied the rights to form trade unions and advocate for a socialist alternative?

C’mon, be brave – throw away all your Chinese made slave labour clothes and the like and be a person of principle!!

Time March 26, 2011 at 8:32 am

Thanks Cal. I will continue to take on board your erudite, intelligent comments. Can’t you find another website to troll at?

Time March 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

The BDS campaign is a specific call by the oppressed of Palestine. When the oppressed of other countries make the same call I will consider it and respond. But this nonsense of course is an attempt to justify the genocide of the palestinian people. Kill Arabs. Steal their land. Complain when they respond. Cry anti-semitism. The solution is clear. Stop killing Palestinians and give them their land back.

Cal, if you can’t stop your trolling I will ban you. I have had enough of your constant personal attacks and childish behaviour and arguments. Find another site to troll on.

Comment from Ian
Time March 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Since the Palestinians don’t have the right to free speech, or vote, we don’t really know if they support the boycott. It looks to me like the boycott calls are only from people like you John, not the people oppressed by Hamas in Gaza.

Time March 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Actually the BDS call comes from occupied Palestine too. They don’t have free speech? The West supports the anti-democratic forces and refuses to recognise the democratically elected Government.

The resistance in South Africa didn’t have free speech but they managed to get their call out.

Time March 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Jews who understand why BDS must force Israel to be legal and decent. http://antonyloewenstein.com/2011/03/12/jews-who-understand-why-bds-must-force-israel-to-be-legal-and-decent/

Boycotting Israel from within the Zionist state. http://antonyloewenstein.com/2011/03/27/boycotting-israel-from-within-the-zionist-state/

Boycotting Israel…from within

Comment from Ian
Time March 28, 2011 at 8:50 am

1. John, I have sad news for you. Antony Lowenstein is not the elected government of Israel. Showing a list of people, Israeli or otherwise, does not prove to me that Israel endorses a boycott of itself.

2. Hamas has no tolerance for political opposition, and there is no free speech in Gaza.

Their indoctrination of children is also deeply disturbing, at least to me.

You implied the other day that you endorse the bombing of the Jerusalem bus station… I just wanted you to confirm this. Please let me know which of these Hamas activities you support:

1. Bombing night clubs:

2. Bus bombings:
/wiki/Jaffa_Road_bus_bombings

3. Killing Israeli children:

BTW, John, when is the next election in Palestine?

Finally John, I urge you to, without your hyperbole, prove that Israel has committed genocide on the Palestinians. I can’t find pictures of the gas chambers or mass graves anywhere. All the demographic data I found shows the Palestinian population increasing, a unique phenomenon in the history of genocide.

And finally, your BDS campaign, not against China or the USA but only against Israel because Antony Lowenstein is calling out to you; highlights another problem with justice in the Middle East. Namely, there are no Jews left in Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Syria to “call out to you” for a boycott of these criminal regimes. That’s right, they’re all judenrein.

Again, I remind you that in Israel, everyone is free to follow any religion, including the 1.2 million moslems. Luckily there aren’t any Jews left in Saudi Arabia to call for you to boycott Saudi oil, or else you’d have to find another excuse to be a part-time revolutionary.