October 2011
17181920212223

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

Occupy! Saturday’s socialist speak out

Today is the day people across the world occupy their cities.  Join us in the fight against inequality and corporate greed. Let’s make this the start of the struggle against the rule of the one percent.

In Australia there will be occupations in all the major and some not so major cities. For example, in Canberra where I live the occupation starts at 2.30 pm on City Hill (just past the intersection of Northbourne Ave and London Circuit on the way to Commonwealth Avenue bridge).

Here are Australian details to date, taken from the Occupy Australia facebook site. We are not alone. Join us in the fight against inequality and corporate greed.

Occupy Australia Locations:

OCCUPY ADELAIDE INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Location: Victoria Square, Adelaide.

OCCUPY BRISBANE INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 9:00am
Location: Brisbane Post Office Square, Between of Queen and Adelaide Street.

OCCUPY SYDNEY INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 2:30pm
Location: Reserve Bank of Australia, Cnr Martin Place & Macquarie St, Sydney.

OCCUPY MELBOURNE INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 10:00am
Location: City Square, Melbourne.

OCCUPY PERTH INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Friday, October 15 · 1:00pm
Location: Forest Place, Perth.

OCCUPY TOWNSVILLE INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 11:00am
Location: Masonic Lodge (Masonic Centres) – 42 Walker Street, Townsville

OCCUPY GOLD COAST INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, October 15 · 09:00 – 8:00pm.
Location: Corner of Cavill Ave and Surfers Boulevard.

OCCUPY BYRON BAY INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, 15 October · 12:00pm – 3:00pm
Location: Railway Park, Byron Bay.

OCCUPY DARWIN INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, 15 October · 3:00pm.
Location: Parliament House.

OCCUPY CANBERRA INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, 15 October · 2:30pm.
Location: City Hill.

OCCUPY HOBART INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, 15 October · 12:00pm
Location: Parliament House Lawns, Salamanca Place

OCCUPY CAIRNS INFORMATION:
Date and Time: Saturday, 15 October · 9:00am
Location: City Place, Cairns CBD
Register at:http://www.meetup.com/occupytogether/Occupy-Cairns/D

Comments

Comment from Wendy
Time October 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

Let me get this right John. When Israel ‘occupy’ land, they are genocidal murdererers and colonialists who must be stopped, even with violence. But here you are screaming ‘occupy’ and crying into your tenured wage packet that the police might stop you.

So which is it big John? Are you against all occupations, or only where your anti-semitism is on show? Is it wrong to occupy other people’s land, or not if they are socialists?

And seeing as how you go on and on and on about supporting the occupied over the occupier, what say you to all your fellow Canebrrans who face disruption, abuse, dislocation and even violence from your Alan Jones style call for violence and occupation?

And really John, is it not surprising you won’t be there . .. the though of you doing the heavy lifting and maybe on the front line seems to have brought out the yellow streak, once again.

You’re better offer trying to get your students to occupy your lectures!

Time October 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

Fuckwit wendy returns.

Time October 15, 2011 at 9:12 am

Wendy please send me your details so I can sue you for defamation for your remark that I am anti-semitic. You won’t because you are a liar and a coward hiding behind the anonymity of the net and abusing my good nature. And I couldn’t believe whatever name and address you made up. Low life filth.

Time October 15, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yes Wendy I won’t be there because I have a yellow streak. My wife is recuperating from a hospital procedure and I am looking after her. There must be someone with her at all times at the moment. I guess that makes me yellow and someone afraid to do the heavy lifting. My son might be able to do that at the time of the Occupation and if so I can attend the Occupation. You are an evil pathetic disgusting piece of work and for your comments about me this time I am banning you permanently you disgrace of a human being. FUCK OFF Zionist liar.

Comment from Ross
Time October 15, 2011 at 10:59 am

Wendy is trying to work out how to occupy that space in her cranium.Stealing Palistinian land and bulldozing their houses does not equate with establishing your own rights of financial fairness in your own country.

“Occupy” has many meanings within the context of a sentence.You can occupy your own house legally or your neighbours illegally,but can you Wendy occupy a vacuum? This could be your biggest dilemma.How do we fill a space that rejects all logical imput?

Comment from Dallym
Time October 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

Well, if nothing else your unique brand of blogocracy polarises people. I think Wendy could probably counter-sue or perhaps claim public interest immunity or some such. Anywho, this Occupy business is certainly all the rage this week, and it clearly has you excited. No doubt the bustling centre of Civic will be the epicentre of Global explosions of Freedom and Scholarly debate or whatever it is folks do at these things. Hope the weather’s nice.

Comment from dl
Time October 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’m at a protest right now. I spoke to some SAlt members (smart guys, they know their political stuff well )as well as some people from Socialist Alliance. There’s been no sign of unrest so far, apart from a noisy anti-Max Brenner rally, which I personally didn’t contribute in.

Comment from Terrance
Time October 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Just back from the Syndey Occupy rally. good crowd and mood, but as an old fart, i can’t but lament the number of Nike wearing kids in $40 buck T-shirts and designer jeans protesting against capiatalism. I so miss the punk days when we’d patch our clothing together and remove any label or advertising.

Ignore the Wendy woman John, water off a duck’s back.

Cheers

Comment from Ross
Time October 16, 2011 at 12:40 am

To save us financially,we must put pressure on the RBA to create new money for increases in our productivity + inflation.The debt will only continue to grow if we do not act.Do not lose sight of this objective.The other issue is the creation of new Govt Banks.

Currently we have rule by the banker class.They create all the money for our Govts and businesses to function.We are their debt slaves.

Banks should only be allowed to loan out money that already exists.They are currently in overdrive stealing our wealth via the counterfeiting of our currencies.

The derivative bubble is enormous and the big collapse is inevitable.

Comment from Leonore Thompson
Time October 16, 2011 at 7:56 am

yes ross, but you don’t save a country financially by burning down small businesses as in Rome, or setting fore to some poor sap’s car or ruining the fragile financial situation in Europe.

You just want anarchy. That seems to be your goal. Tell me Ross, are you employed in the public sector or small business or are you not employed at all?

Time October 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

These ‘direct action’ anarchists are a blight on the movement with their reactionary and substiutionist politics (a politics similar to the ALP of leave it to us, we know better, we’ll save you) and actions and give the one percent the opportunity to beat us over the head with arguments like the one Leonore puts by painting us all as being like them. Actually almost all of the violence associated with the protests comes from the one percent and their state – the cops – attacking the demonstrators. The capitalist system itself is organised violence against humanity with from memory 30,000 people (19000 of them kids) dying from preventable causes every day.

Time October 16, 2011 at 8:30 am

Leonore’s comment that the protestors are ruining the economy is laughable. We didn’t cause the Global Financial crisis; we didn’t cause the massive shift in wealth to the profit bludgers.

And that is what we are fighting against. Inequality and corporate greed.

I am not fighting for anarchy. I am fighting for socialism – the democratic running of society to organise production to satisfy human need, not corporate greed.

Comment from Leonore Thompson
Time October 16, 2011 at 10:42 am

That is not what I was implying or infering at all. Fighting inequity and greed should not necessitate or incorporate the torching of property, motor vehicles and/or looting, vadalism and so forth.

No one here caused the GFC so my comment resolved around why protesters seek to destroy property of these also innocent of creating inequity and greed in society. An analogy would be a protester burning my motor vehicle or my business and using another issue of which I have no control over as justification for thes actions. I trust that makes my commentary clearer in intent.

Time October 16, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Yes, and the only place attacking buildings etc happened was Rome. The rest have been peaceful demonstrations except when the cops have attacked them. Why paint the whole global movement in 250 cities and 80 countries with the brush of the reactionary branch of anarchism in Rome (if it was anarchists and not police provocateurs), unless your whole point is to undermine it by association and implication and generalise from that that we are all about torching buildings when we are clearly not and when nowhere else did this occur?

Write a comment