June 2014
« May   Jul »
16171819202122

The letter that Murdoch rejects

I sent this to The Australian on Tuesday, after they published Nick Cater’s article ‘Abbott haters put rage before reason’. In that article Cater painted me as the sensible socialist and Socialist Alternative members as the unthinkling ones. As of Monday 9 June, The Australian hadn’t published my response. I cannot for the life of me imagine why not. I have edited it slightly.

John

First let me thank Nick Cater for his kind words about me. I particularly liked his comment that ‘in today’s world of eff-you politics, John Passant is an anachronism, and not because he wants to see the overthrow of capitalism. He is an oddity because he insists on articulating his case.’ (‘Abbott haters put rage before reason’ The Australian 3 June 2014 page 12.)

It is unfortunate however that his praise for me is part of the ongoing denigration of Socialist Alternative, one of the few groups actively opposing the bosses’ Budget and helping mobilise many, especially students, against this ruling class attack on the poor and the working class. If there is any eff-you politics it is this Budget of the rich, by the rich and for the rich.

Given the bankruptcy of the Labor Party and the parliamentary cretinism of the Greens, there is a gap on the Left that groups like Socialist Alternative in a small way are filling because of their activity, analysis and energy.

My advice to anyone repelled by the Budget and wanting to fight back is to consider organisations such as Socialist Alternative. This doesn’t mean going in dewy eyed, but it does mean giving fair consideration to one group actually taking the struggle against the Budget forward.

If Cater sincerely believes I articulate my case well, it is surprising then that over the last year or so not one of my many letters to the editor of The Australian has been published and that my occasional unsolicited opinion piece is ignored or receives comments, after telling me how much they enjoyed the article, that ‘your call for an overthrow of capitalism, however, runs counter to the ethos of the paper. It would be odd to publish it.’

Perhaps my problem of non-publication in The Australian is that I articulate my case too well. One solution might be to have a real socialist like me write a weekly column for The Australian. In support of my application I offer Cater’s endorsement. I know The Australian, like me, is committed to diversity of opinion. I look forward to your offer of substantial remuneration for a regular column.

Comments

Pingback from The letter that Murdoch rejects | OzHouse
Time June 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm

[…] Jun 07 2014 by admin […]

Time June 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm

One thought – the letter is too long. Short, pithy letters appear to be favoured.

“Perhaps my problem of non-publication in The Australian is that I articulate my case too well.” Well, I don’t think that’s your problem. Most socialist writing sounds like completely outmoded turn-of-the-century (and I mean between the 19th and 20th centuries) ideologically-based claptrap. All this talk about the workers, the bosses and the ruling classes is just so far removed from how people today view society. That’s not to say they are happy with how things are going these days – they just think about it in different terms. Only the socialists would find ‘Das Kapital’ all that relevant today.

No, maybe Nick Cater had it correct when he said you were “an anachronism”. But he is also correct in that at least you can articulate your case – unlike the screeching, shoving SA followers.

Time June 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I think it is the politics Kay. If length were a problem they could have got back to me about cutting it back.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time June 7, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Kay

Kay stuff deleted

Spoken by a true Philistine. I doubt whether you even understand Das Kapital.

Comment from Ross
Time June 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I refuse to buy or read any of the Murdoch rubbish. Gerald Celente calls them “presstitutes” which really insults our red light ladies, as they actually give someone pleasure for the money they take.

I’m sure in this age of the NSA all our MSM have black lists of trouble makers who seek social justice.

Time June 8, 2014 at 8:32 am

Chris

* Stuff Chris writes

Spoken like a true idiot – as usual.

Time June 8, 2014 at 8:43 am

John

You are probably correct. I occasionally get my blood up about something and shoot off a Letter to the Editor (Courier Mail). I always keep it short. Sometimes it gets printed, more often not. Maybe they put them in a hat and pick them out? Sometimes I think the other letters on my topic are better than mine – other times I think they are worse. So who knows what goes through editors’ minds. But as an observation – the letters cover the ‘for’ and ‘against’ sentiments, but never anything radical or really new. As I said before, people today think within a certain capitalist framework – socialism is just too far out for the population as a whole! Hell, it is certainly too far out for me these days!

Comment from Jim Brash
Time June 8, 2014 at 10:40 am

Kay, even if ‘socialism is too far out ‘, conversing about inequality, the surveillance state, gay rights, islamaphobia, Israeli apartheid, the fight for a living wage, governmental transparency, the militarization of the police, the obscene costs of higher Ed, and the slashing of social programs are not too far out . And socialists are consistently best out putting these debates in proper social context and able to gauge the pulse of the masses.

Comment from Chris Warren
Time June 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

Kay

Spoken like a true idiot

Unfortunately you are not qualified to make such judgments and it is vanity for you to pretend otherwise.

On the other hand, due to my long experience – I am well qualified.

Your incoherent spittle against socialism and love of capitalist exploitation is an eyesore for all those with a real interest in social justice, economic and ecological stability, and international solidarity.

All this because you cannot resolve the chip on your shoulder from your parents.

Comment from Skye Smith
Time June 8, 2014 at 11:07 am

one reason why right wing deniers should be silenced. It should be illegal to speak against climate science

Time June 8, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Jim

I agree that the ideas of socialism should be openly discussed and ‘out there’ I am happy for peaceful protests to occur over all topics, and for government policies to be challenged. It is the contest of ideas that leads to the best outcomes. I enjoy reading John’s blog, even if I don’t always agree – he raises some excellent points.

I guess I’m just not on board with the ‘socialist revolution’ idea – I prefer gradual change that does not threaten to bring violent societal disruption.

Time June 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Skye

“It should be illegal to speak against climate science.” Really??

It should not be illegal to speak against anything. Beware such blatant censorship and removal of the freedom of speech! The hallmark of tyranny. There are those who might say “It should be illegal to speak against capitalism”. Bad news for socialists if such a drastic view prevailed. Thank heavens it doesn’t!

Time June 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Chris

“you cannot resolve the chip on your shoulder from your parents.” What the hell is this referring to???? I had a great childhood – and a very interesting one!

“On the other hand, due to my long experience – I am well qualified.” What – with idiocy?? Yes, it is clear you are an expert on being an idiot!

Comment from Chris Warren
Time June 8, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Kay you are shouting imaginary abuse at the mirror. And yes I have had a lot of experience dealing with idiots of all hues – you are no exception.

Don’t play dumb – your chip was explained to you on 12 May 2014.

Or did you just make-up a false story as a bit of play acting?

Time June 9, 2014 at 7:56 am

Stop the abuse now. No more will I publish all these personal attacks.

Time June 9, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thanks, John. It would be good to be able to comment without being attacked by Chris (although I concede that I retaliate once he starts up).

Comment from steven
Time June 11, 2014 at 8:42 am

I’ve rarely had letters published in the Australian, but at least they have a letters column unlike the Red Flag and GLW.

Comment from steven
Time June 11, 2014 at 8:48 am

Like you I’ve had similar articles and letters ignored by them. I really liked your letter and agree with what you said, except I don’t see SA as a viable alternative. Wish it were otherwise, as people are ripe for decent alternative voices at the moment.

Time June 11, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Why don’t you see Socialist Alternative as an option, Steven? I have my doubts too but would be interested to hear your views.

Time June 11, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Red Flag has a comments section online, from memory. Don’t know about GLW.