November 2014
17181920212223

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

In defence of flag burning

This is a link to me going head to head with David Oldfield on radio station 2UE almost 3 years ago in defence of flag burning. It was prompted by a young Aboriginal girl burning the Australian flag on the stairs of Old Parliament House on Invasion Day in 2012. The ‘interview’ is the second link down.

Comments

Comment from Baghead Kelly
Time November 16, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I wrote a letter in my local paper some years ago endorsing John Howard’s defense of flag burning and promptly received an anonymous death threat, it is one of my treasured possessions.

Comment from Ross
Time November 17, 2014 at 6:31 am

George Carlin, “Flags are symbols for the symbol minded.”

Flags are used by our elites as a distraction to initiate wars and pitch one group against another while they steal from all sides of their contrived conflicts.

Time November 17, 2014 at 7:44 am

Well, I listened to the interview. You were very vague on details, very big on slogans – just waffled all over the place. Certainly not the sort of argument that would convince others to support your views. I hate to say it, but I think David Oldfield made more sense, even though I didn’t agree with everything he said.

I am curious. Burning the Australian flag is OK, but burning the Aboriginal flag (just another western symbol) is wrong (your comment). No logic there. Both are merely Western symbols of a group of people. But both are revered by some of those people. It is OK to upset Australian war veterans (for example) and other Australians who are proud of their nation, and the flag that represents it, but not OK to upset some Aboriginal people. Are white Australians so beneath your contempt that their feelings are of zero consequence? Personally, I would hate to see either flag burnt because these flags are dear to many in our society – black and white. It is not the burning of a bit of rag that matters, it is the hatred that goes along with that act that bothers me.

Time November 17, 2014 at 7:47 am

One is the flag of the oppressor, the other the flag of the oppressed. To burn the flag of the oppressor is to oppose oppression; to burn the flag of the oppressed is to reinforce that oppression.

Time November 17, 2014 at 8:23 am

If it is only about symbols, I don’t think much of the Union Jack in the corner of our flag. I’d rather see a new flag developed that represented today’s Australia, rather than our history. On the other hand, I think the Aboriginal flag is simple and beautiful.

Non-indigenous Australians who have been born here over the past 230 years are not the oppressors. But they have produced most of the wealth that all Australians, indigenous and non-indigenous, now enjoy. And many of these people are very hurt when they see their flag burnt.

As I said, all about slogans, and symbols, not about people or their feelings.

Comment from philip s
Time November 18, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Censored, looks like my comment was too controversial.

Comment from Lorry
Time November 18, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Well done John.
Oldfield is a racist pig

Write a comment