November 2015
« Oct   Dec »
16171819202122

This is the 3CR statement regarding the United Patriots Front

On Sunday 1st November, five members of the fascist group United Patriots Front (UPF) gained entry to the premises of 3CR Community Radio and filmed throughout the building without permission.

In an effort to intimidate the station and its programmers, they then posted the video on their Facebook page. 3CR reasserts its commitment to progressive politics and our core mission of providing a voice to people denied one elsewhere in the media and in society.

We stand by our commitment to providing a voice for Muslims, newly arrived migrants, Indigenous people, unions, women, queers, the working class, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with a disability.

3CR was established in 1976 and the station currently has about 400 programmers broadcasting over 120 programs a week in 19 different languages. There are a diverse range of organisations affiliated to the station ranging from trade unions to housing groups to music appreciation clubs.

The behaviour of this far-right group is therefore utterly ridiculous. However the UPF is of concern because of its racist, Islamophobic and anti-semitic beliefs, its hostility to the left and its capacity for violence.

On the same day the UPF came to 3CR, they also made an unwelcome visit to the Melbourne Anarchist Club.

We totally reject these tactics of intimidation and express our solidarity with other groups subjected to their harassment and vilification. We call on the people of Melbourne to join us in rejecting this amateur schoolyard bullying and the politics of fear that make it possible. The routine Islamophobia present in mainstream politics and the media must stop and the indefinite detention of refugees must stop. We call on our political leaders to take some responsibility.

3CR urges all people concerned with upholding basic principles of human dignity, diversity and fairness to attend the protest against racism and fascism on Sunday 22 November, 11AM https://www.facebook.com/events/1658598611090891/ on the steps of Parliament House. Gather around the 3CR banner.

We also encourage people to attend the Melbourne Anarchist Club Open Day on Sunday 8 November from 12PM. https://www.facebook.com/events/2070425446432067/

To support proudly independent and diverse radio, donate online at http://www.3cr.org.au/donate or subscribe at http://www.3cr.org.au/subscribe

Comments

Comment from Tom
Time November 9, 2015 at 8:13 pm

So you support civil disobedience from refugee protestors but not others? Do as I say, not as I do?

Time November 9, 2015 at 8:19 pm

I support civil disobedience against the state and its criminal policies. I don’t support fascists intimidating left-wingers.

Comment from Tom
Time November 10, 2015 at 9:16 am

But do you support civil disobedience as a practice regardless of who does it?

Time November 10, 2015 at 11:11 am

Smash the fascists.

So let me get this right. Tom, you support the fascists? Is that right? Good luck with that.

First They Came

Pastor Martin Niemoller

First they came for the Communists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Communist
Then they came for the Socialists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Socialist
Then they came for the trade unionists
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a trade unionist
Then they came for the Jews
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a Jew
Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me.

Comment from Tom
Time November 10, 2015 at 11:47 am

Who are ISIS coming for? And would you stop them?

Time November 10, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Nobody. Who are US and Russian forces around the globe coming for? And if you want to create more ISIS look and do alikes keep invading other countries.

Time November 10, 2015 at 1:55 pm

ISIS are not fascists. They are not representative of a desperate ruling class turning to the fascists to cut wages, conditions etc to restore profit rates. ISIS are a result of the US invasion of Iraq. If you want to stop terrorism stop indulging in it, as Chomsky said.

Pingback from Community radio station 3CR statement on attempted intimidation by the fascist United Patriots Front – WRITTEN BY JOHN PASSANT | winstonclose
Time November 10, 2015 at 2:00 pm

[…] Posted by John, November 9th, 2015 – under 3 CR, United Patriots Front. Comments: 7 […]

Comment from Lorikeet
Time November 10, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Hi John, I recently sent the ATO a letter that was a non-lodgement advice informing them that my taxable income was below the taxation threshold for the 2014/2015 financial year.

Today I received a really stupid reply in which they claimed that I have to lodge an income tax return because I am subject to a child support assessment.

My children are all adults. The youngest is 23 and there has been no child support assessment in place for 8 years. Should I just ignore this bullshit?

I have previously been harassed by the ATO three times. They kept harassing me even though they had all of my details including documentation from the bank which proved I was below the threshold. The commencement of this rubbish seems to have coincided with becoming a member of a small political party.

In the past, I have had young men making a mockery of me via the telephone. Does a person really have to put up with this garbage? What should I do about it?

Comment from Fred
Time November 11, 2015 at 7:07 am

Hi Lorikeet,

I’m a Chartered Accountant and deal with the ATO on a regular basis. They are all idiots. There’s no conspiracy against you.

Time November 11, 2015 at 9:16 am

Maybe if the ATO employed some more staff they could deal with the public better. instead they are going down the Orwellian technology route, euphemistically called Reinventing the ATO. The ATO will be able to do your tax return before you can. There will even be an app, eventually, to record deductible purchases and send the info to the ATO.

Comment from Lorikeet
Time November 11, 2015 at 11:58 am

I think both Fred and John are right. I have even been sent assessments that had total garbage on them, but did not worry because I did not owe any money.

Then a couple of years later, they wanted to do the same one again, driving me nuts and belittling me.

I think I will just file their stupid letter and hope not to hear from them again. I have not had a Child Support Assessment since 2007. To my knowledge, nothing is owed either way. If they have a small amount of money to pass on, why don’t they just send it, as it would certainly not be applicable to more recent returns at my end.

I know a man who got $400 back from the Child Support Agency 2 years after his youngest child turned 18. I hope he charged them interest.