May 2016
16171819202122

I am not surprised
I think we are being unfair to this Abbott ‘no surprises’ Government. I am not surprised. (0)

Send Barnaby to Indonesia
It is a pity that Barnaby Joyce, a man of tact, diplomacy, nuance and subtlety, isn’t going to Indonesia to fix things up. I know I am disappointed that Barnaby is missing out on this great opportunity, and I am sure the Indonesians feel the same way. [Sarcasm alert.] (0)

Duncan Storrar is a hero

Duncan Storrar is a hero. He made a pretty obvious point. A lift in the tax free threshold would improve his life. He survives on the minimum wage and benefits related to his disability. His comment and question on Q&A on Monday night was:

“I’ve got a disability and a low education, that means I’ve spent my whole life working for minimum wage. You’re gonna lift the tax-free threshold for rich people,” he said, addressing federal minister O’Dwyer.

“If you lift my tax-free threshold, that changes my life,” he went on. “That means that I get to say to my little girls, ‘Daddy’s not broke this weekend. We can go to the pictures’. Rich people don’t even notice their tax-free threshold lift. Why don’t I get it? Why do they get it?”

Assistant monster Kelly O’Dwyer told him it was all about balance (seriously!) and business now being able to buy $6000 toasters. Toorak toasters anyone? This, by @artbylynettag is her tag

Image created by Lynetta Gelsomino. @artbylynettag

Spokesthing for the Australian Industry Group, Innes Willox, slithered out from under his super rich rock and showed his caring side. He said:

“Duncan, I’ll be harsh in my message. If you’re on the minimum wage and with a family, you would not pay much tax, if any at all. Would you? You would not pay much tax.”

Duncan replied: “I pay tax every time I go to the supermarket. Every time I hop in my car.”

It was a classic put down of an arrogant dismissive out of touch ruling class blood sucker.

The vultures of the press, the capitalist class and the politicians who don’t understand, or worse attack Duncan, like Willox did, say he is already getting more for the State than he pays in tax.

This is not correct. Duncan, as he pointed out, pays GST, and as a percentage of his income pays lots more GST than either Willox or O’Dwyer (on average about 34% of his income compared to 5% or 6% for Willox and O’Dwyer, according to Figure 16 from the ACOSS Inequality in Australia: A Nation Divided report).

Second, tax and spending are two matters that are not susceptible of being netted off. One represents raising revenue and the other represents spending to achieve societal or other goals.

Third, Duncan’s position has worsened in comparison to O’Dwyer and Willox over time. His wages have grown at a rate well below the rate the remuneration of the top 1% has grown.

Fourth, Duncan’s wages and support payments mean he is close to the poverty line (which, for a couple with 2 children, was $841 per week in 2014. Every day is a struggle to make ends meet, even with government support.

Fifth, the income the ruling class are taxed lightly on is not theirs. It is the unpaid labour of workers, workers like Duncan.

The answer is not to play games like business and the media do and net off Government payments against tax paid. The answer is to increase Duncan’s wages and the government support payments he receives so he can take his daughters to the pictures on the weekend.

Comments

Comment from Fred
Time May 11, 2016 at 9:07 am

Lift the tax free threshold. I’m all for it. It’s gone from $6,000 to $18,200.

What would you like it to be John? $30,000? $50,000?

Time May 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

$6000 to $182000, but with LITO removed, which had a similar effect. Claw back any change for those above $87000

Time May 12, 2016 at 9:04 am

A druggo deadbeat who has never paid tax at all – yeah, a real hero for socialism! Typical! And nothing but bile for those who actually support the economy!

Time May 12, 2016 at 10:22 am

He pays tax, both income tax and GST for example.If you are going to regurgitate News Corpse nonsense, at lets get your propaganda correct. No net tax is I believe the Murdoch papers lie.

Comment from Tom
Time May 12, 2016 at 10:51 am

Even his son bagged him for being a druggo. If he is a hero of socialism, then socialism is rooned.

Comment from Florence Howarth
Time May 12, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I suspect even with 50k from donations would still be unable to buy a home, even at bottom market.

Time May 12, 2016 at 9:54 pm

The Pursuit Of Duncan Storrar Reveals The Savagery Of Australia’s Class Warfarehttps://newmatilda.com/2016/05/12/the-pursuit-of-duncan-storrar-reveals-the-savagery-of-australias-class-warfare/

Time May 13, 2016 at 7:25 am

Now we find he has a long criminal history which includes violence and threats of violence. Yep, a real hero! Or have the papers invented his long criminal record too? Just like you don’t believe the ABS stats on the percentage of the population paying income tax which is more than offset by generous welfare payments = no net income tax.

Comment from Fred
Time May 13, 2016 at 10:00 am

Now we learn that your hero Duncan has been in jail and has breached intervention orders. You love to go on about violence against women on this site, but your hero is someone that has a history of violence. Is your motto “My enemy’s enemy is my friend”

Time May 13, 2016 at 4:52 pm

I am proud that Duncan asked a question that has seen the ruling class respond, not to the class substance of what he has said and his questions and comments, but rake up his past. That in no way detracts from Duncan’s speaking truth to power and shows the inability of the ruling class to defend its own criminal system of exploitation and oppression. Well done Duncan.

News Corpse, which paid no income tax on $2.8 bn of revenue, ( a social crime in my view) is threatening our democracy. Duncan asks a question and the warning to all who speak the class truth to power that comes from Murdoch et al is to shut up. I stand with Duncan in his questions and comments on Q&A.

Time May 13, 2016 at 4:56 pm

I have already replied to the lies about net tax in an article on my blog. You should read it, instead of getting your pathetic ‘thinking’ from News Corpse.

Comment from Helen Pickford
Time May 13, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I thought Duncan was brave to speak of his financial struggle to those supercilious people and to answer back “I do pay tax”. Apparently mental illness is part of his struggle and for that he needs help and support not vilification.

Comment from Annie Palmer
Time May 13, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Amazing that people can attack Duncan and carry on about welfare payments. What about corporate welfare.
I don’t know Duncan personally so don’t want to comment on what he may or may not have done. But good on him for asking the question. He is entitled to do that. He never asked for the limelight nor any ofdonations that he is receiving.

Comment from Nejat
Time May 13, 2016 at 10:18 pm

To be honest I don’t care what type of person Duncan is, it is the question that needed to be asked that highlighted the inequality of the initiative and has people like Kay and Fred squirming to protect those that don’t even care.

Comment from Beep
Time May 13, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Quote, “let he who has never sinned, cast the first stone”…… fook some of the replys on this blog have got me beat!!!! Who cares about his bloody background, yeah it may not be squeaky clean, the fact remains he served his time….are you going to put Bond in the same boat, yeah he committed a crime but once he served his time the dumb rich were prepared to bring him back into society.

Most of you are missing the point here, Duncan raised some valid points, when he was accused of not paying tax, well fook me he was right when he said he paid tax when he got in his car and when he went to the supermarket, or when he pays his bills etc….he is like you or me paying for daily living. Give the guy a break!!!! and before any of you turn to attack me, I spent 24yrs working in emergency services and am now medically retired and am on benefits are you going to attack me on being a low life now that I am on benefits. When you were running out I was running in. Look in your own backyards before you start mouthing off, because I can bet your bottom dollar, that you didn’t pay your bills on time, found a tax dodge to get away with, claimed unemployment when you didn’t have a job, asked the school for assistance because you didn’t want to pay your fair share and the list goes on.

The fact remains as stated in posts, there are 580 companies that don’t pay tax in Australia and you fooking think that’s ok and want to derail someone that asked a valid question, WELL SHAME ON FOOK YOU!!! and to Kay and Fred…let he who has never sinned, cast the first stoned. Bet if I went digging into your backgrounds, you would run and hide with shame, you are not squeaky clean!!!.

Point is, I am of the same view as John, Duncan asked a question which put the likes of that bimbo Kelly O’Dwyer and that other twit Innes Weeks on their arse. The result being, that the general population didn’t agree with those two clowns and the pathetic answers they gave. Fact remains the Turnbull government is so out of touch by giving middle and upper class (so called) and businesses tax cuts, that they are making the working cuts pay for the well off.

Not everyone can have a job that pays over $80,000 a year, so tell me in all fairness why 580 national and international businesses deserve a tax cut and those earning over $80,000, but those earning under that don’t????? Fook I would love to know, because for the last 24yrs I have worked in emergency services and never earnt anywhere near that, but I can guarantee without my position some of you would be stuffed.

For the Murdoch press to go digging for dirt to deride Duncan Storrar, well shame and I mean SHAME ON THE PRESS!!!!….dirty buckets and Rupert can go get fooked along with Kelly O’Dwyer and the other dirty rotten lieberals and those that think they are greater than…..

So bring it on…..talk to the hand….I’m off for a red….can’t wait for the hammering…..but remember….let he who has never sinned, cast the first stone….hypocrites!!!!

Time May 14, 2016 at 5:06 am

Thanks Beep. Exactly. Hope you enjoyed the red.

Time May 14, 2016 at 5:06 am

Exactly.

Comment from Mark
Time May 14, 2016 at 5:16 am

The question is invalid because of a chequered past? Yet Mengele’s research and expertise wasn’t burned and discarded…

Comment from Ian Law
Time May 14, 2016 at 10:05 am

It seems that many of those commenting here have been tricked by the deliberate diversions of News Corp. Their approach to avoid scrutiny of important issues (like the ones Duncan raised) is like this:

Look! Over there. A 16-year old ‘terrorist’. Duncan the villain. Nothing to see here or in the Cayman Islands.

The attack on Duncan has succeeded as a diversion as soon as you start focusing on his history. It is irrelevant to the issues he raised, and News Corp delights in seeing the spotlight taken off the issue of dealing with poverty.

The attacks on Duncan are ad hominem ones:

“Ad Hominem

Attacking your opponent’s character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.

After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn’t married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.”

So it’s a con by News Corp, you’re the mark, and you’ve been stung. Do you like that? I no I don’t, so I try to be one step ahead, trying to see the con when it’s being played. The article on fallacies is a big help on protecting against cons.

Comment from Alastair
Time May 14, 2016 at 11:56 am

Duncan has a history of abuse to woman (or so we are told). If true then that is not good. He is a ‘druggo’. Maybe not so good either. Many people are addicted to prescription drugs, alcohol and cigarettes but they’re not castigated. Winston Churchill spent most of his time in parliament drunk from drinking brandy but the ruling class warmonger is still held up as the hero of WWII.
All of it might be true about Duncan but none of it is relevant to the issue. If he was up on charges for beating his wife or children I would be loudly criticising but we are talking about a question he raised, not his personal life. To bring that into the argument is to obfuscate and to avoid the point: a typical politician trick and one which the media has honed to a fine art.
Good on Duncan for raising the question and putting O’Dwyer on the spot. Shame on News for their hatchet job.

Write a comment